Steepest grade you ever pulled or went down.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Working Class Patriot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    I guess it does...

Or...you were wrong and I was correcting you. It's an internet forum. Try not getting so butthurt. People do it all of the time. You were misinformed, and learned something new...I didn't know about the streak eagle either until my cousin (who is a F-35 test pilot) told me about it.

Also, I was a F-15c/d crew chief at Elmendorf for almost 6 years, so I know my bird too. Now, we can continue this petty argument, or be done with it and let this topic get back on track.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KC Guardrail

KC Guardrail Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Coasting, flying, same thing, right? How much oxygen is in the atmosphere at 103000 feet?

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=621

Saying this is an F-15 is as ridiculous as saying the Ford cars raced in NASCAR are a Fusion.

You have fun with your internet. I'm going to go drive.

4. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    Easy Children. ... I10 in west Texas had a Ford F550 down to 35mph a time or two.
    We had a fairly heavy trailer behind us...

5. flightwatch

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Um...yeah. if you are gaining altitude, then you are flying. What does oxygen have to do with anything? Unless you are talking about drag, then yes, there is no atmosphere to act on the aircraft, but at the same time, the engines cannot produce nearly the same power at that altitude due to the lack of said atmosphere. It is all relative.

No. Saying that a completely gutted fusion is not a fusion because it is gutted is ridiculous. They did not put higher power engines in it. It's not another plane with a f-15 shell. It was gutted. Things were removed to save weight. People remove things out of their cars all of the time (ie radios, ac, the back seats, spare tire) to save weight. That doesn't somehow magically make it a different car.

Have a safe drive.

6. Reycer

Reycer Medium Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ohio
    14% US30 in PA (I don't recommend a trucker going to look for it either, I personally hope to never go back). Luckily it isn't that long, but there was a friggin stop light at the bottom of the hill.

n3ss Thanks this.
  7. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    actually it didn't fly that high , IIRC ,it "flew" to height of around 98,000 feet and the forward momentum allowed it to "coast" up to 103,000. The plane in it's regular , normal everyday configuration would not be capable of flying to that extreme , I think that's kc guardrail's argument.....I'm no expert , not at all , but the laws of physics are what they are.

8. flightwatch

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    So if you 'coast' down a hill in your truck, are you no longer driving because you aren't stepping on the accelerator? Any time that an aircraft's wings are generating lift, it is flying. When the wing stalls, the aircraft is no longer flying.

This really has turned into way more than it should have, and at this point, we are arguing semantics.

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  9. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Good point, you're correct. I really have not enough knowledge to even discuss this, but was posting the facts that I found by doing a little looking. Flying /coasting could be considered the same thing ( I guess ) .....my point was the plane in question wasn't actually under power past somewhere around 98,000 feet. It went up as high as 103,000 using the forward momentum it had achieved while still under power. Enjoyed reading about what you guys that actually have worked with these planes though , interesting stuff !

10. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    F-15s are pretty bad arse. But the F-22 is bad to the bone!

11. flightwatch

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Yes it is, and it's speculated that it could wipe out every time to altitude and speed climb record out there in its stock form...if the Air Force ever gets a tickle in their ### to do it that is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.