Steering Tire Blowout

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tumblin dice, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    This idea to use the trailer brake may work, but I had 3steers blowout, and when you have a death grip on the steering wheel it’s hard to do anything else.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Amen... Never give up a good grip that guides your immediate destiny.
    And the old trucks always seemed to lope along better if you ran below the governor,
    kind of kept the horse grazing but could spur when needed. In nodding mode, takes
    a second or two to wake back up go mode.

4. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    Had several steer tires blow out......only remember one at speed.
    Oversize load/heavy on the drives......judging by the explosion the tire
    was at full psi when it blew. For the first couple moments I hung on to the
    steering wheel with both hands......I let the truck drift toward the ditch
    while slowing down. Fortunately as I bled off speed I started to regain control
    and was able to land it just fine. From what I recall when I got down to about 45mph
    I was able to control the truck just fine......above that it was a little hairy.

I had a heavy lowboy trailer with good brakes....load was chained tight with
    heavy chains.....had good tires all the way around.....needless to say I am a big
    fan of quality tiedown equipment, and well maintained trucks/trailers.

Hammer166 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  5. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    The mega I started with ran us through a simulator for steer tire blowout.

Stomp the fuel pedal

6. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    There's no real way to train for it and every one of our reactions to trouble is to stop feeding fuel to the truck. I don't believe in a real sudden blow out we will have the recollection to add throttle in time unless you train in that simulator for a few months. The only time I've had a steer let go I was able to just steer the truck to the side of the road with very little issue. I was heavily loaded on my drivers, so my steer was probably as light as it gets. My steer didn't blow, it had a rapid deflation due to hitting a large bolt on the road (it was bouncing towards me and I couldn't avoid it) and I had a few seconds to get ready.

Farmerbob1 and flood Thank this.
  7. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I blew a steer tire many years ago when I was pretty green still. Running close to 80mph on south dakota interstate. Don't remember it being an intense situation. Gripped the wheel firmly and slowed it to a stop. Did destroy the inner fender or that 377.

I understand the logic behind mashing the go pedal but yet I don't. #1 I don't think most trucks have enough power in high gear to really shift much weight off the steers. #2 you gotta let off the gas eventually.

Farmerbob1 and flood Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.