Step Deck High Centered On Tracks Struck By BNSF Freight Train

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Jan 25, 2023.

1. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Studebaker Hawk, ducnut and JonJon78 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I would think being stuck on the tracks for 6 minutes would be enough time to call 911 or the number on the crossing to get the train stopped? Wonder if he called either?

4. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    At 6 minutes it’s already too late! And seeing as how the train dragged the truck two blocks the train was already slowing down prior to the impact!

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Pulling something low (Low Boy. Get it?), would mean being conscious of ground clearance. But, common sense isn’t very common, anymore.

There is a “1-800” number on all the crossing equipment, at every RR crossing. Don’t call 911. Call that number!!!

A typical freight train would only take 2mi to stop, at 60mph. A mile per minute would mean the train WAS ~6mi away. Plenty of time, if the number would’ve been called.

Time is of the essence, though. Gotta’ hustle and not panic, in these situations.

Coover, Crude Truckin' and tscottme Thank this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Yes. EVERY railroad crossing has a sign indicating the 800 number to call and the crossing ID. The instant you may be stuck on a crossing, nothing else matters more than calling that 800 number and giving them the crossing ID. You wont get into trouble with the cops.

7. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Well... You won't get into any more trouble with the cops.

8. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    I highly doubt it. He probably spent 5 minutes spinning tires.

9. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    This is why I always carry my deck low. Just in case…I got some room to lift up my trailer.
    Obviously this guy didn’t have that luxury.

YardMule89 and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    mjd4277, tscottme and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  11. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    My little town has 4 crossings, all with lights, one with a set of gates. It is not uncommon for all 4 crossings to have the lights on and gates down at the same time for hours with no trains coming. I have called the 800 crossing number perhaps a dozen times in the last 4 years to report the malfunction.

They are extremely courteous and competent, but who you are talking to is a RR dispatching service that works for many railroads in a given geographic area. When you give them the crossing number, they then know which RR and location the problem is at. that alone can take 2-3 minutes, depending on how busy they are.
    They in turn have to call the actual RR dispatchers, who in turn have to get a hold of the train crew to initiate an emergency stop.
    BTW. Any emergency stop warranted or not can itself initiate a derailment. I have a close friend who retired from the FRA(Federal Railroad Administration) who is a goldmine of information in the topic.

Just like calling a 911 call center, those operators get so many calls that are not emergency related, they have to spend some time "qualifying" the call.
    So things are not going to move nearly as fast as you think. Otherwise they would roll emergency equipment to pick up a pizza....

Ask any emergency responders how many "frequent flyers" they get via the 911 calls that are unnecessary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.