Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Yes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    This is with CH Robinson, one of the first brokers I was setup with and didn't understand that part of the agreement when I signed it a couple years ago. You can't go back and make changes after the fact which stinks!

4. redoctober83

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    Nope, CH Rob you blind.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m officially back to one truck. Finally got the other truck and trailer sold. Probably take me until the end of the year to get back to where I was before starting all this.

RStewart, tax, Oscar the KW and 7 others Thank this.
  6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Thanks for posting about the reality of adding complexity.

My plan after 25 years of managing large facilities and as many as 300 people was to just to have 1 Truck and one employee. I’m so much happier than I’ve ever been. I have made a few more dollars a couple of years in the past but never had such satisfaction in my previous life.

Adding a truck and employee looks good on paper but, The new Truck will never be as efficient and you will lose efficiency in your own truck at the same time.

There is money to be made in more trucks but way more work than it’s worth in most cases in my opinion.

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    My motivation for doing it wasn’t the money. The guy I hired is a friend of mine and he was getting put in the poor house by lease purchase programs. He kept bringing it up that if I bought a truck he’d drive it, because he knew how much I’m bringing in. Finally, I said, if you’re serious, I’ll do it, and I did. I was making money off the truck but I was also paying him extremely well.
    I’m not happy how it turned out. I was going to be getting him a new truck and everything. I just feel like he used me just to get some cash in the bank so he could do something else other than OTR.
    I still talk to him and everything. It’s not something I’ll throw in his face but it’s not something I’ll forget either.

xlsdraw, Dave_in_AZ, RStewart and 9 others Thank this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Never hire friends or family members. It will never end well.

9. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Never usually does..lol

10. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    ####, how much do you think you lost on this?

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    It might not take that long. What hurt me was the ridiculous maintenance cost on that truck and now I’m losing a lot just to sell it. In total, I’ve lost 16k on this whole deal. If it weren’t for the maintenance cost on it, I could have broken even. I averaged 4K a month in maintenance on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.