Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I'm asked often if I'm interested in adding a truck or two by guys I know. There's no way I'd do it, then again I already said that ;-)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I’ve thought about leasing guys on, and eventually getting out of the truck myself. But the more I look into it I think it would end up being more work and stress than any financial gain.

4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The only way I’d ever do something like this again is if I wanted to be off the road completely and be in the management role 100%. It’s too hard to do it all; driver, owner, and manager with more than yourself.

Tug Toy, Oscar the KW and drvrtech77 Thank this.
  5. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I think that adding owner operators to my own Operating Authority will lead to financial disaster. Many owner operator have too many excuses to play around with logbooks and even with elog, they still think that turning off the elog and continue driving for a little bit is ok. Then they expect the dispatch to cover it up. I have met so many o/o leased to small carriers that are doing this. Wait til their company get audit by DOT, lots of fines.

Also, if any one of the lease operator gets into a wreck, the owner of the Operating Authority is liable for all of the expenses not covered by the insurance company. Tow bills and wreck clean up are not included in most insurance policies and can easily cost tens of thousands and more. Also, if any major injuries or death resulted in an accident even if the driver is not at fault, the truck company will always gets sue. America have so many hungry lawyers that progress in business expansions have been haulted due to so many frivolous lawsuits with multi million dollar suits.

You might do well for years, but lose everything when one of your lease operator gets into a major wreck. Or you lose $$$$ when you get audit by DOT. DOT auditor told me that after the third HOS offense, then can fine the carrier $10k or more per offensive. The fines imposed by DOT is ridiculously high. Now with ELog, everything is recorded and there is no way to lie since odometer is recorded and all miles must be explained.

6. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Dot fine of $10,000 can happen with first offense. Officer discretion.

I had several trucks running and myself, but I hired an office manager.

That made a big difference.

I run just my self and am happier. Got tired of answering phone with the thought of "what do I have to pay for now"
    Go where i want, when I want now.

There is money to be made as a company, but I think you need to have at least 5 trucks so you can justify the cost of the office expense.

It's tough with friends and family.
    Same here as OP.. I remember, don't ask for any favors again.
    Good luck.

redoctober83 Thanks this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Come December 2019, when the AOBRDs are phased out, I think even more people will hang it up. You still have “flexibility” with an AOBRD. With an ELD, like I have, you have zero flexibility.
    As an example, I PC’d to a Walmart bobtail, but when I went back to the truck stop I forgot to go PC again and screwed up my 34. I couldn’t edit the drive time to show PC as a driver, administrator, and neither can the ELD company. Drive time is written in stone, period. On an AOBRD I could edit drive time to show PC.

8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You should be able to edit it. The law doesn't say things cant be edited, it says all edits are recorded along with the original.

Which system are you using?

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m using one called Coretex and really like it. You can still edit anything you want. Anything but drive time. With an ELD no one can edit Drive time; the driver, an administrator, or even the ELD company. With an AOBRD, an administrator can edit drive time to show anything. Although, if you were caught doing that, you better have a good story.

10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I have Keep Truckin eld. I can edit drive time all I want? I can edit it TO Personal conveying or yard move only but I can change it. However I can’t change it to off duty or on duty/not driving.

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Then it is an AOBRD. The name of the company may contain ELD and it may even be connected to the ECM but a fully compliant ELD allows no one to change drive time. What you described was the same as my old Big Road ELD. It said ELD in the name but would function as an AOBRD until December 2019.
    FA95B669-0DD7-4006-9415-FB9D9124C2BA.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.