Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    220 isn't going to hurt anything. 230 and I would start backing off and use less turbo.

Dave_in_AZ, Rugerfan and Tug Toy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    The thermostat for the oil cooler on an ISX doesn’t even start to open till 233 degrees.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Well pun a rose on my nose, learn something new everyday

RStewart Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m hoping some time next week I’ll have my deposit down and order the new reefer trailer. It would be here between January and March. It is custom spec’d for my needs and has one option in particular that is sure to catch some eyes. Price before trade and 5k deposit was 94,500. Amount to be financed will be 74k. I was down to two manufacturers but, in the end, the one I went with can get me everything I wanted. I would have had to compromise on some things elsewhere.
    My current trailer is in good condition but it uses a lot of fuel. I haul a lot of frozen and if you push on the walls you can hear the ice in between. The insulation is not that great. It maintains temp but not very efficiently. And, it’s a Utility and I think they’re overrated. I bought it because it was a good deal and had the features I wanted at the time.
    I have two features on the new one I’m excited about. One will remain a mystery for now until I can show a picture of it but the other is a wireless door sensor that will put it in low speed when the doors open. No wires running through the trailer walls or any of that stuff that stops working 6 months after you get it.

SoDel, Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  6. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    Dang, $94k for a reefer? Can't wait to see it. Lol. I like the door sensor but I always turned the unit off when I opened the doors so it didn't suck outside air in through the product.

What brand of trailer?

Dave_in_AZ, larry2903 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I turn mine off a lot too. My problem is that there are still a lot of places that tell me I can’t. I can’t stand it when I’m getting unloaded and the reefer is screaming away doing nothing.
    It will be a surprise as to what brand I chose.

larry2903, Tug Toy and RStewart Thank this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    94K - brave act...I guess, it must be high tech and stainless steel....Jan - March..so there is a long wait time for reefers too.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. RStewart

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    I like surprises. Lol. I thought about getting a reefer cause there is a lot of good freight in my market (same section of the country you live in) but I still think I'd rather go open deck mainly cause I don't like grocery warehouses (been there done those for too long) or the 11pm-3am deliveries. Lol.

Tug Toy and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I played with the idea too. I was getting decent rates for the dry van so far this year and the idea was put on a back burner. I owe little on my dry van, I could pay it off today and truck is paid for too, I kind of like it this way...no debt.

Paddlewagon, RStewart and Tug Toy Thank this.
  11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If my only debt is the equipment, I don’t mind. I’ll always have a payment but it pays for itself with the efficiency and the lack of maintenance expense. I had some other debt but paid all that off, due to the second truck I had. Prices are up due to demand, but also due to the trade spat going on right now. Aluminum is going to keep going up until that calms down.
    I did get stainless steel on the nose, doors, and lock rods, the trailer sides are white aluminum. I don’t care for the stainless sides.

Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and RStewart Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.