Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The fuel mileage is definitely a nice cost savings and pays for the increase in payment but I also get a benefit in that I don’t have to visit the shop every time I take time off. No issues out of the A26.
    I really want to get to 9. I think the mpg is good for what I’m doing though. My only point of comparison is data from the run on less campaign. They averaged 10.1 mpg during the period but average gross weight was only about 55k. It’s hard to compare fuel with others because the number is so dependent on the operation and a lot of these articles and reports don’t go into detail, they’ll just throw out a big mpg number to try and sell the you on their model.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Considering the average weight you are pulling, I would not even expect anything better than 8 mpg. I am sure with typically lighter dry van load you could easily go above 9 mpg. As a comparison my YTD average mpg is 6.7 on ISX and the average weight I am pulling is less than 65k lbs gross. Assuming we both run 100K miles a year, with today's fuel prices it is close to $11k savings for you.
    I've been reading some positive articles on A26. The only problem for me would be that with International LT I don't feel too comfy in. I tried it out when I had to lease it for a week. It did not have as smooth ride as Volvo, as if there was something weird about its suspension (maybe there was, but it was a new truck). I guess I spent too much time in in Volvo. It had X15 in it. It did not have any good mpg at all for the 1200 miles I run with it. In that particular instance slightly above 7 which is what I've been getting with my old ISX all summer long.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    It's funny how these ISX motors are all over the place in terms of mpg. My T660 got 6.29 last quarter but yet I have a buddy that is driving a Penske rental, international with the ISX and he's averaging 7.5 running 70mph. I run about 67 most of the time. Running 60 only adds about .2 mpg so I don't run slow.

NoBigHurry and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    October was a good month at $23,186.00 in revenue, 2.12 a mile on all miles. I know some say I haul cheap but I don’t focus on the rate per mile, I try to balance out rate per mile and monthly revenue in a way that’s gets me the most profit.
    Fuel mileage appears to have gone up slightly since the overhead was done. I’ve been resetting the computer each time I fill and checking by hand. The result, so far, has been a .2 mpg increase. I haven’t had a lot of data to use but by the end of the quarter I’ll have a good picture of it’s affect.
    Putting the trailer radial on the tag axle continues to improve tire wear in this 6x2 setup over having drive tires there. It’s a huge difference. No more chopping and the tread on both axles is wearing even.
    I increased compensation slightly by having the business reimburse me for medical insurance. It’s a tax free benefit. I wish they would get Student Loan Repayment Plans (SLRPs) the same treatment, and I’d do that too.
    I sold my old VW Jetta TDI to a friend and bought a new Nissan Titan XD with the Pro 4X package and Cummins 5.0. That thing is nice. Nissan was running some huge deals on them as part of their “market penetration strategy.” I got a whole lot of truck for the same price, actually less, than you’d pay for a loaded GM 1/2 ton or Ford product.
    I’m in a good spot right now, finally, and once I absorb the new trailer in March I’m going to look at some small homes in the area; 1-2 bedrooms 900-1200 square feet that are selling for cheap around here. Some of them are really nice homes. No one wants them because anything less than 1750 sq.ft is too provincial for people around here.
    I have plans to start my 401k up around June as another way of increasing compensation without paying more taxes. I tend to take things 6 months at a time and reassess. Take it slow and get there eventually.

SoDel, Dave_in_AZ, xsetra and 9 others Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    What I like about you progress is that you rely less and less on loadbards.

7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Love how you break everything down and are all about efficiency. May I ask how old you are? Your based in Arkansas?

You have a very successful career/business ahead IMO.

So on the rear axle of the truck your running trailer tires? Will you swap this out when winter comes? Interesting.

Misesian Thanks this.
  8. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m running the trailer tire on the rear axle because it’s a 6x2 truck with the rear being a tag axle or dead axle. Having a drive tire in that position was causing all the tires to wear poorly. I won’t change it for winter, I don’t think it would help any being it’s just a tag axle.
    I live in Northwest Arkansas around the Fayetteville, Springdale area. It’s a good spot to be for reefer freight. I’m 32, I wish I would have got into trucking sooner but, if I did I may not be where I am now. Being a dispatcher for 8 years taught me a lot. I kept my ears open and listened to the big wigs when they’d have their conference calls, newsletters, and meetings instead of sleeping through them like a lot of people around me did.

SoDel, Dave_in_AZ, ReeferOhio and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I like the guy I’m working with and there’s another small broker in town here I’ve done a lot for. Even when I do use the loadboard I don’t do one and done deals, I’ll only book a load with someone Im set up with, which isn’t very many, or I’ll look at loads offered by someone I’d like to Setup with, there are a few outfits I wouldn’t mind setting up with but the right time hasn’t come up yet to do it.

Dave_in_AZ and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Man that’s fantastic. It’s really cool to see a fellow younger guy that has his stuff together. Not all of us are lazy morons living in moms basement.

I have zero doubt in my mind that you’ll go as far as you desire too whether that’s 1 truck or a fleet of them.

Thanks for the info on the axle/tires. I hadn’t ever thought of it before.

Obviously you know what your doing but IMO you’ll be able to pump your numbers up higher if you work with more brokers. Won’t hurt anything other then take a little extra time here and there.

Misesian Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Company I worked for got talked into the 6X2 configuration in 2016. So, the owner ordered a few Volvo's equipped that way to test them out. They ended being a real pain in the arse. They chewed up tires like crazy, the leveling valves would go bad, etc. He said no more.

RStewart Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.