Stepping Out With My Own Numbers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Misesian, May 16, 2017.

1. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    What's your mpg with the bad weather?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    This year, so far, is 8.7 mpg. The ELD is pretty accurate and it shows 8.78. I check it against the hand figures every once in awhile and it’s akways within a few tenths of what I come up with. I just checked it over the weekend.

Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and DUNE-T Thank this.
  4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    If you’re ever thinking of stopping at the Flying J in Clear Brook, VA, don’t do it. That place is tight and trucks park everywhere. Once you finally get out of your spot, you then have to squeeze around all the trucks in no parking zones.

tax Thanks this.
  5. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Hey Misesian,

I was reading about your reefer a few pages back. Since you have a dedicated trailer, have you ever considered using solar panels on the roof? I'm not 100% up tp date on the latest tech, but I'm sure that you could reduce your reefer fuel costs somehow.

Also, Transport Robert (who are a big trucking company up in Canada) have moved to solar-powered apu's. The idea of not having any fuel or maintenance costs is quite appealing. True, it doesn't get Texas-hot up here, but it does get New York hot and humid.

Here's a few links:
    A bright idea from Groupe Robert - Truck News

CCJ Innovator: Groupe Robert cuts idle time, extends hotel load time with solar panels

This has some trailer tech ideas:
    How Fleets are Using Solar Power

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    My trailer doesn’t sit long enough to need the solar power, but I still like the idea.
    I like battery APUs, but run time is an issue. The solar panels are a great work around. The problem is that you have to make arrangements with the APU or truck provider to get them. Anything other than standard equipment is hard to get when you’re just a small time operation. These fleets have a lot more power to get these technologies on their equipment. I’ve run into this already in ordering my truck and now my trailer. They’ll put up road blocks every step of the way. International wasn’t too bad but they asked a lot of questions to try and convince me other wise.

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    What I really wanted on my truck was a solar system like Transport Robert has and a lithium battery APU. Right now all I can find that looks legit is Volta Power Systems. They make these things for RVs. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, trying to get these people on the phone and setting up installation and the proper system is almost impossible for a one truck guy. So, I ended up with the ol’ TriPac. I like the TriPac, but I really want a battery system.

8. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I like the idea of a diesel electric system where the solar adds to the cooling output of the reefer, thus reducing the demand on the diesel engine.

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    They’re working on cryogenic reefers right now. That seems to be the next big thing with reefer units; moving away from engine power altogether.

10. highwayMike

highwayMike Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2019
    When i finally get into to trucking this year if everything goes to plan I will try to budget the slow season as normal rates.

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Ran the fuel mileage again today from January until now. 8.66 mpg, 28667 miles, 14% empty miles, usual stuff at 72k or so average weight running to the northeast and mid Atlantic a lot. I’ve been in MA, CT, and NJ a little more than usual this month.

Dave_in_AZ, Tug Toy and tax Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.