Stevens My Experience

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Alaskan, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan Light Load Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Houston, Alaska
    Just for the record, I had very few problems with Steven's Transport. I am not saying that anyone was wronged by this company. They have a great school and you are tested by an actual DMV not some company funded tester, so you know you have the skills to get on the road & start making money when u pass. My first trainer was cool...but unfortunately he quit because he was a lease operator and was getting poor mileage due to a new Driver Manager, he instead switched to company driver. My second trainer, was a dumb ### he couldn't tell left from right...and he wouldn't let me back up...because he was a lease operator and didn't want me ruining his truck. but I made it real clear to him that I was there to learn and not BS around...if he didn't teach me, the company would learn about it. So after the ## with the trainer...I went solo and got loads that no one wanted in trucks that no one wanted...after you prove yourself for about 6 months...I did real good and got good miles...but was offered WAY MORE money ($60k/yr for 26wks/yr of work) for a company back at home (Alaska) and now thats where I am at. after living the good life and having all that I want...I still miss OTR truck driving...I base success off of happiness (not married); right now I have money but lack that happiness I once had when traveling all over the lower 48....so I have been thinking of getting back into it...and I am sure before this year is over I will be back down there driving OTR, only this time, I am looking strictly at flatbed, tanker, or Van; no more reefer. I would truly consider Stevens if you want to learn how to drive correctly, your first 6 months, u won't have a jake brake but that doesn't matter, they teach you how to go down steep grades without using it and instead using slight and steady pressure on the brake (3 to 5 lbs of pressure) and ur brakes don't even smoke....They don't want you to drive in the snow if chains are needed, they have you pull over and wait insted, and no blind side backing. They expect safety, and most of the time, they some how hire dumb ### who can't cut it out there...so of course they have a high turn over rate. There were 75 of us that went to there training, 31 of us studied hard enough for our drug test, 15 of us paid attention and left with our cdl, 14 went with trainers, 12 did student and student driving, and 9 of us stayed with the company. they simply weeded out those who didn't have it in them and kept the ones who can. I feel for anyone who isn't getting the miles they deserve, but if you are under 6 months working for the company than, stick it out, and I bet things will get better, stay away from the lease.

Cherice and ChipperDawg Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. righttime

righttime Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Florida but looking at TX
    What can you tell me about the lease program with Stevens since that is what I am looking for. TY

4. Jrwade

Jrwade Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Hornell NY
    Depending on your truck you are assigned
    you could pay anywheres from 500-700 a week and even more
    if you want a apu and prepass and other things
    But at end of lease you do not own truck
    and they will find a way to get your bonus
    So be very careful
    I have been burned by stevens that way
    And also the only way to get miles on lease is to become a trainer with stevens :/

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.