Stevens to disolve entire tanker division next week!

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by MYSTYKRACER, Oct 8, 2019.

1. MYSTYKRACER

MYSTYKRACER Medium Load Member

May 30, 2019
    Article on CDLLife today indicates Stevens Transport is shutting down it's entire tanker division by next week and laying off almost 600 people!
    https://cdllife.com/2019/nearly-600...ucking-company-suddenly-closes-down-for-good/

So my question as someone who's in school now and is hoping to get into tanker work when I'm done in December, how is this sudden influx of people looking for work likely to affect the job market? I'm in Houston and the Stevens thing is happening up near DFW so is it crazy to think there could be some impact down here?
    Also, just out of curiosity, when a company of this size suddenly shutters a whole division, what happens to all of that equipment? I'm assuming it'll be sold off at some point?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Liquidated.

The equipment is not that valued. It is not cherished. Once a company shuts, dump the fleet into a auction for whatever the market will pay. Along with all of the unresolved problems in many of them.

One would make a case that large buyers of fleets will ship them overseas to Africa. Strip the emissions crap and resell them at a profit in bulk. Put em on a ship and off they go bye bye. Africa will love to have them.

Don't worry about the 600 plus newbies graduating school. Eventually trucking will consume those bodies and next years graduates as well. It is the one industry that goes through drivers faster than our own Military does in battle or actual warfare with another nation. They go through alot of "Replacements" in the form of new school graduates.

If you want to stop the Trucking in America just shut off the source of graduates and wait a year. There will not be enough drivers (*One company I was with I hired on at bottom of roster, number 229 or something. 6 months later I was number 32 of 236. Everyone at 24 and below were newhires in that time period. Replacements.

The company eventually went out of business.) I was already employed elsewhere.

MYSTYKRACER Thanks this.
  4. In the trucking industry this is why you are a professional driver. You have endorsements for just this reason.

Tank
    Doubles- Triples
    Haz-Mat

Dont put your eggs into one basket unless you have a fall back plan.

5. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019

6. MYSTYKRACER

May 30, 2019
    Yes, I plan to get the three main endorsements plus a TWIC card for port work and I have a passport as well so I can go across borders if need be. Definitely want to give myself the most opportunities!

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those 600 drivers won't even be a blip on the radar.
    Your opportunities haven't changed a bit.

8. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    That's not 600 drivers,
    You got Dispatchers, office personal
    Mechanics

bzinger Thanks this.
  9. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    Where you are at , tanker jobs are everywhere , with all endorsement along with twic and passport, you will have no issues finding a good company.stevens is a big box truck company , they got into tanks for the $$ , money made business is slow , now they cut the waste and got out of tanks .I did box for 3 months hated it , that was six years ago , been pulling a tank ever since . My advice if you want to pull tanks , go-to a tank only company, start making connections now .

10. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    The time frame you are starting will probably have more impact. Dec is slower. Things start to pick back up in the spring.

11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Considering there is something of the order of 3.5 million truck drivers in the US, you are looking at about 0.014% of the total driver population looking for work (the 600 number includes office staff, so I went with 500 drivers). So to put it simply, about 0.14 drivers for every 1000 in the industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.