Stevens Transport A year in review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by TLeaHeart, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    update/ My driver manager tried to say that I never requested the reroute, with archie on the phone, his boss, and I directed him to the qc message requesting the reroute, and the answers I gave. Archie approved the reroute that I took, but stated that it has to be approved before moving next time. I did request the reroute as soon as my driver manager came to work, as the weekend crew would not do it.

Other problem that I had to get Cat involved in was the pay from home, to windsor, as Kelly and Archie were saying it is only from my drop to the next stop, NO mileage for going home. Cat had to state it 3 times that I am to be paid for the trip from the last drop to home, or from home to the next pick up, whichever is less. They were trying to pay me for 52 miles, not 227 miles. I have heard from other drivers that this was happening, and that company drivers are limited to 50 miles to go home.

I have always watched my pay very close, and have had limited problems, but occasionally there will be some. But lately, the attitude is that they can not be wrong, and then Archie says they are only doing what management has informed them to do 6 months ago, which I then called him on as I can show from previous statements that I have been paid the empty miles from home to my next pick up everytime. Goes to the attitude of management towards the driver, and driver pay.

I picked the load up that I can not deliver to Laredo on time, which I informed them of before accepting the load. today they changed my appointment to Monday, which is possible, if it quit snowing here in erie PA. so I am sitting here in PA, watching the snow, and waiting for hours to come back, so that I can move. And since I am under load, I can not do a 34 hr reset per Stevens policy. I wanted to not even pick the load up, until I had reset, but that was not a possibility. Some times there policies and thought processes just amaze me. But it makes Stevens look good, as the load was picked up on time, but it will be delivered a day late.

I could have set for 34 hrs, picked this load up, and delivered it on monday a day late. Instead I picked it up, after arguing with them, and now am setting for 24+ hours, waiting for my hours to come back, as I am up against my 70, with 8 coming back, and then 11.5, 11.5. The attitude is that the driver does not know what he is talking about.

This attitude is getting worse with each passing month with Stevens. I have defended Stevens in the past, but this constant arguing with them over pay, hours, loads, is getting on my nerves.

Rattlebunny and david07003 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    A penalty for over miles? Are you kidding me? Lease operators are capped on the max number of miles they can run in a month or face a per mile fine! WOW! Basically Stevens are saying "we will control how much you earn", and you stay there? I find it hard to understand why a professional truck driver that has signed on to be an independant contractor with subsequent loss of company driver benefits, and is taking all the risks will stand up for Stevens? :biggrin_25513: Please tell me that I missing something. Go to the JCT thread and see the miles those guys get and how they are treated, polar opposite from Stevens, plus at they end of the lease they own the truck.

4. poptohder

poptohder Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Tampa Fl
    I'm entering my 3rd month of grad, considering alliance. looking to stay out 7-8 weeks at a time. how much trouble do you have getting enough miles. Any tips for getting reloaded quickly? A lot of drivers have said stay on company side for a while before going to lease. Your thoughts?

5. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    JCT and stevens had a lawsuit going, and JCT could not talk to Stevens drivers. I think that lawsuit has been settled now. Yea Stevens trys to control everything. JCT would not hire me, stevens would, and I do make more take home pay as an alliance driver than I would as a company driver, with Stevens. Comparing Stevens Lease Only, against any other companies Lease/purchase is difficult. It is like leasing a car, that you turn in every 2 years and get a new lease and a new car.

6. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I have listed my miles, getting miles is not hard, it is hard to run those miles profitably and efficiently. If all you are worried about is the miles, then alliance is not for you. If you are willing to run a business, with all the risks, and a few of the rewards, then alliance is for you.

Getting reloaded quickly depends on the area of the country, and your reputation with the company on picking up on time and delivering on time.

still have a bad taste in my mouth over yesterdays arguments about pay, which I finally won, and got paid for what they owed me.

7. Barracuda905

Barracuda905 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Minot, ND
    What is the key to running the miles efficiently?

8. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I appreciate our efforts in letting us know your numbers and experiences with Stevens but I was just so shocked that a company would penalize a contractor for too many miles. I have no doubt that you are better off doing it your way than being a company driver, good luck with it.

9. Keendriver

Keendriver Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2009
    Big Blue Truck
    Tlea,are you paid a flat rate per mile,or do you get a % of the load?
    Reason I'm askin,it would be alot easier to swallow that over mileage charge if you got %.You could haul higher paying freight,less miles and not incur this penalty.By running on a cpm basis you basically have a ceiling.You can control costs only so much,the only way to generate more rev is by running more miles.......which you are penalized for. This doesn't seem like the best deal for you.
    Please don't take this as a criticism,I'm just curious.

10. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    First and foremost, leasing from stevens, you will never own the truck. They plan on the truck lasting them 4 years, and still be under warranty, so that they can sell it quickly. If I as a driver run more than 12500 miles per month, the warranty will be used up before the 4 years are up, reducing the resale value. The lease is set up to benefit Stevens, more than the driver. This is NOT a purchase program at Stevens.

The shock value is understood. And thanks, as it is more about hard work, than luck, but I will take any luck i can get.

11. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Running the shortest, quickest route, getting the best fuel mileage you can. Conserving loggable drive time, so you can get another load.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.