Stevens Transport A year in review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by TLeaHeart, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Non Taken....Stevens is by the mile only, and they pay shortest route miles also. No choice on what loads you get either...they claim it is not forced dispatch, which technically it is not. If I refuse a load assignment, then I will NOT be paid the empty miles to the next pickup. The consequences of refusing a load. Also I will go to the end of the list for loads, and that adds a day of sitting and waiting.

I agree it is not the best deal, but as a training company to get my start, it has worked for me, and by playing inside the rules, I am happy with the results. Part of the challenge, is know the rules, and make it work for ones self. The ONLY cost I have some control over is my fuel. Where I purchases, how much I purchase.

12500 miles for a solo driver is a worked my behind off month. Everything has to fall into place for that to happen. I have done it, it was not worth it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    First full week of the year....

miles driven, 3055, busy week.
    Miles paid this week, 1618
    miles transfloed, yet to be payed 1026

Finished my run to Charlotte NC, with an all day delivery window. Delivered at 9am, and it was 32 degrees with an open air dock. At 9:30 am I am empty, send in my empty call, and head 12 miles down the road to the Loves, to scan in my trip. Sit and wait until 2pm for a load. Pickup at wilksboro food service #2, wilksboro NC, before 19:00. I can be there by 16:00, no problem...take off. Delivers to Johnstown Walmart NY.

Arrive at Tyson Foods,:biggrin_2551: wilksboro NC. Ugggggggggggggggggg (many of the names in the load assignments are wrong)
    Load is not ready, will not be ready until early AM.:biggrin_25512:
    Drop trailer, park along fence, send in my arrived message, along with a message about the load not being ready at the scheduled time. This Tyson plant is different, and let you sleep, and the guard will come and knock when your load is ready. He knocked at 11pm. I told him I was out of hours, and asked if I could stay until I was legal to move. He says sure. I get up at 2am, hook up to my trailer, scale it, get my paperwork, and on the envelope, Driver on Break, do not disturb, has been notified.:biggrin_25514:

Guard signs me out, and I head off on my 739 mile trip, (actual 779). to make my 6:30 am appointment I have little slack time, so I run hard, make it to Binghamton NY for the evening, shut down, get up at 2:30 am to finish out the run, 154 miles to go. Good thing I had a little extra time, as I89 was icy and 40 to 45 was my average speed. Made my appointment, got to love swinging a 53ft trailer through old towns on narrow streets. Only route to the industrial park is down main street.

Have a preplan to Rochester NY, pickup at 8pm, going to Laredo TX for a Sunday delivery. No way I can legally make the run. Inform my DM. Shut down for 10 hours, go and pick up my load, see previous post about wanting to wait to pickup, drive to erie PA and shut down due to snow and ice.

Appointment is rescheduled, for Monday, and I spend Friday watching the snow at the TA in Erie PA, and waiting for hours to come back.

I am 617 miles out from Laredo tonight, with an all day window for delivery on Monday. will get to spend Monday night at The dirt chocked laredo Yard.

I have been ran hard this week, and hope it continues.:yes2557:

Dryver Thanks this.
  4. Barracuda905

Barracuda905 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Minot, ND
    Congratulations on a good week TLea.

5. Barracuda905

Barracuda905 Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Minot, ND
    TLea, where are you going after Laredo?

6. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Ended up with a nice short run from Laredo to the Dallas Yard, I was 100 days out since my last safety talk. Got to the yard at 8:30, and I am cleared at 13:00. Now just waiting on the shop to clear the truck, have a coolant leak on the APU.

7. sydsdriver

sydsdriver Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2009
    In the truck
    TL
    Just read through your thread, found it interesting and informative. Thanks.
    Please keep posting.

8. stevens22

stevens22 Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2007
    colorado springs,co
    tleaheart. the way you keep your records is great. type "a" personality(compliment). you are to good for that low wage stevens transport. other big companies pay their company drivers better than stevens pays you. i garauntee you that the average company driver doesn't come off appearing near as professional as you. dump those losers, and work for a company not a school.

9. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    thanks for the compliment, but as of now, I would not be making more with a different carrier with my experience. Most are currently paying 32 to 34 for someone with less than 2 years. Plus I know how stevens works, and I am not the unproven guy getting #### loads.

For now, I stay.

10. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Week 2

Miles ran 2394
    Miles paid 3030
    Miles transfloed, not paid 427

Finished my run to Laredo, tx, was up against my 11 and 70 when I arrived, and dropped my trailer at the reciever. bob tailed over to the "high class" yard, and did not expect a load for a couple of days due to my hours. Next afternoon, load of candy, take it to the yard in Dallas. Okay, I have the hours to do that.

Run up to Dallas, arrive at 8:30 am, am I cleared at 1pm and the truck service is done at 8pm. Go to dispatch, and ask for a load leaving the next morning, Thursday, get a pepsi haz mat load, from grand prarie, to Mesquite, then to Worland WY. Load was to be ready at 11 am, but I set at the shipper for 4 1/2 hours, until 3:30 pm. Made the drive over to mesquite fun, traffic and all.

Finished delivery in Mesquite, head out. I don't have to be in Worland until Monday, but call, to see if they could receive on Saturday, but no luck. they don't work weekends. got to love small town life! So I stopped and visited friends on the way, and had a relaxing trip.

Miles not bad for the week, could have been better if I had not taken the wyoming load, but I knew it would give me a chance to see some friends, and enjoy life. Always a consideration for me.

Now to see what they do to get me out of Wyoming, the Dead hole of freight.

Rattlebunny, Dryver and Barracuda905 Thank this.
  11. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    I'm baffeled at the logic at Steven's.. They take a trainee straight out of school and pester him into leasing a truck.. I don't know who is crazier Steven's for offering or the student for accepting?? The student gets nothing but all the liability and cost, Steven's takes the $$ with no liability.

The #'s posted here are missing a lot of other information in order to make a true bottom line. It's way more complicated to figure out how much $$ you made each month than just post how many miles you ran, your MPG, and your deadhead...

How about stuff like lumper fees, reefer fuel, breakdown, tires, truck washes, lube, oil, & filters? buying palletts, insurance, workmans comp, bobtail, cargo, liability, physical damage insurance? Baseplates, 2290 Federal Heavy Commercial Vehical tax, Quarterly Fuel Taxes?

You stated Stevens' lease isn't a purchase?? So you have nothing to show for it when it is over.. You don't own anything?? Then why even sign a lease?? Would someone please explain to me why anyone would want to go through this for nothing?? If you owned it at the end.. You could write it off (depreciation) then you could use the equity to get into another one, newer not new.. but each couple of years you'd upgrade till eventually you'd be in a brand NEW truck... THAT I can see not driving someone elses truck and assuming all the cost and liability, with no health insurance or benifits....

BusyVixen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.