Stevens Transport A year in review

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by TLeaHeart, Dec 18, 2009.

1. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I have the extra money I made over being a company driver at the end of the lease. Companies Lease equipment all the time, instead of purchasing, and that is what I have done.

All the "other stuff" is accounted for in the lease, maintenance, lumper fees, base plates, insurance is all part of the lease, and taken first each week. Stevens pays all lumper fees, with a valid lumper receipt.

I do get a tax credit for each and every dollar I spend on the lease.

Why does Steven push new drivers to sign a lease? Easy it moves costs and risks to the driver, and Steven's profit increases. Also they no longer have to pay payroll taxes, workers comp, medical insurance, truck insurance.

I signed, as I saw that I could make more than I could as company driver.

Many do not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Week 3
    Miles driven 2924
    Miles paid 1687
    Miles transfloed, not paid, 1734

Parked at the pepsi plant on Sunday night last week, and was unloaded quickly on monday morning. Now where would they send me? Got a load picking up in Logan Utah, shortest route 358 miles away. Check the route and weather, and call in saying no way can I run that route, 3 mountain passes in January, with a major storm approaching Utah. Instead run over south pass in Wyoming, down to i80, to i84 and then to Logan. Arrive at 6pm, check in with the shipping office, they see my refer, and tell me I am at the wrong dock, and the other dock closed at 4pm.

none of the pickup #s I have work. I tell the shipping clerk that steve Duncan said I would be loaded between 7 and 8. Low and behold, there is my load, and my delivery confirmation # is the pickup number. 40 minutes later I am loaded, and I turn and burn to get out of Utah, Headed for Chicago. I make Little America, and shut down for the night.

Drive across Wyoming on a sunny non windy day, and make Lexington NE. Get up the next morning, Ice storm in Iowa, bad weather in Eastern Nebraska. I wait until 1 pm to start rolling, sun and salt do a great job of melting ice. Make Altoona IA, Bosselmans pilot at 9pm. Parking it tuff, but I find a spot, put it in, and have a good night.

Appointment is for 8pm in Melrose Park. Look on google maps, and see that it is rows of warehouses, with lots of parking. Roll in arriving at 6pm, check in, and 15 minutes later I am in a door. 7pm I am empty, and ready for a load again. Call stevens, as it is late, and I have not seen a pre-plan. Want to know which way to head out of chicago, as there is nothing close. Get a load out of sturtevant WI, 60 miles north, and a Petro just 3 miles from my noon pickup.

Takes until 3pm to get loaded, always does at Johnsons, but I have until Monday 8 am to be in Scottsbluff NE. Stop at bosselmans in Altoona for Friday Night. Saturday roll to Big Springs Ne. Sunday night, parked at the receiver, ready to back into their dock in the morning.

A good week, even with having to adjust to the weather. winds gusting to 50 miles per hour here in scottsbluff tonight. Parked next to the building, but it still moves the truck at times.

My haz Mat endorsement has helped keep me moving and away from grocery warehouses. I hope my next load is not Tyson in Lexington NE. Chances are good that is where I will be going though on Monday.

Rosesmommy Thanks this.
  4. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    Yes, I see the money argument but cannot but into this argument. For a couple of reasons: You are never allowed it seems to run your business as your business. Someone at Stevens dictates every detail of everything you do.. where to fuel, what roads to run, loads to take.. You are still a company driver..

How can you make more $$ when you have to pay more for health insurance, dental, no vacation, no 401k, no paid holidays, you do have workmans comp # around $38 per week right? What is the weekly deduction for truck payment, maint, license / base plate, fuel taxes, fuel, income tax??

Show me how it is better?? How can a student possibly be ready to handle this with absolutely no experiance? I am a O/O not a lease purchase guy, the real thing, my truck is paid for I own it. I also own my trailer too. I make payments on it. I haul High, Wide, & Heavy stuff. Please enlighten me as to the inner workings at Steven's. I would realy like to know.. I have a friend working there and I have told him to stay far far away fr any "fleece purchase". Unless someone can prove to me it isn't a farce.. So far there are no facts to prove it's a good deal, just BS#'s skewed to make it appear to the untrained eye that there is lots of $$ to be made.

5. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Gonzo, your perception is close. A lease operator for Stevens is a glorified company driver. A student with no business experience will go broke with the Stevens lease.

The advantages are few, but here they are; I can take the tractor home, I can fuel where I want, although it is cheaper for me to fuel at the suggested fuel stops. I can run what ever LEGAL route I want, so long as I make the pickups and deliveries on time. I am dispatched before the company drivers. I can turn down a load assignment, with the known consequences of moving to the bottom of the dispatch list, and not being paid the empty miles to my next pick up.

I went from working 70 to 80 hours a week as a fast food manager to this, I had the knowledge to run a business, with the risks. For me it is better than being a company driver. For most, they fail miserably. I keep telling people this is NOT a purchase program, but everyone keeps trying to insist it is.

Weekly costs $800 to $900 for everything you keep asking about, it is not separate payments as it is for you. fuel is additional. Company Driver makes 30 cents per mile gross, 2009 I made 37.6 cents per mile gross, after paying for health, dental, vacation, IRA. Better for me.

There is not lots of money to be made, but there is more money to be made.

I ask anyone even thinking about the Lease at Stevens one question that a group of us lease drivers came up with; Do you have a family that you want to be home with? Answer yes, DO NOT do the lease.

Second Question; Do you have any business knowledge, and understand profit and loss and that you pay ALL of your payroll taxes.

Different perspective on the matter, as you are where you want to be, as a owner operator. I am using stepping stones to get where I want to be also, and Stevens is one of those stepping stones.

twinrose and Canada Dry Thank this.
  6. Gonzo_

Gonzo_ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Clayton, NC
    Thanks for your input. Your actually one of the first to give me a honest answer to a honest question. I have asked before and get nothing but smart remarks and not one inteligent answer.. I can see where you are comming from and what it is you are trying to get out of Steven's..

From what I can see their opprotunities are extreamly limited, they definately do not fit the bill for everyone but in special circumstances I can see where it might be a slightly better deal than company.. I would have to critique the lease or have a lawyer do it before giving a final verdict on it.. but I see the general idea of the Steven's lease / contractor branch. I knew next to nothing about it before now I know a little more. Enough to now tell my buddy to continue to head for the hills! Run do not walk! Not only NO but HELL NO! do not even think of signing that lease, his position is not like yours.. He would fail miserably..
    Thanks again..

7. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    Your welcome gonzo. In very limited circumstances, I will tell some one to go with the lease, but most of the student drivers at Stevens should not even consider it, and stay company, learn how a large company works, and then make the decision that is right for them.

Stevens is a training company, and a hard company to work for. I honestly think that they have outgrown what Steve AAron can handle, and the middle managers are running wild within their little kingdoms. Just my opinion based upon my observations.

I do hope your friend can meet his obligation to Stevens, and sticks it out when it looks like they are picking on him. Too many bosses, at least too many that think they are the boss. Also NO is a strong word, and I do use it.

8. Rosesmommy

Rosesmommy Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2010
    HIi TLeaHeart,

Thanks for all the posts! I've read them all and am understanding a bit more.

My husband is in OR 2 right now with Stevens. Things seem crazy at best. He's looking at the Alliance mainly because he was told there are 45 other guys waiting for trucks right now. Our house is kinda on the line right now and he needs to be bringing home more then training pay by the end of April. Though we have 3 kids for the first year we know that home time is gonna bite. We live 45 minutes away from a Kraft plant so am hopeing that will help. Any suggestions or advise for us and about the lease program would be welcome. Thank you for posting your info and I look forward to reading more!

Thanks!

9. scohick

scohick Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2010
    williamsport,pa
    yes,you are correct,i have,had been a owner op for 12 years till last november,i had enough and sold my truck,the way the economy is i would not encourage anyone to buy or lease a truck!like any of the big trucking co. they all get a kick back from the fed government for each person they put through the orientation process,whether they last a week or a year!but if you do make it through there orientation alot do want you to make there truck payments for them,they dont care if you bring a paycheck home at the end of the week!if you pay the lease and decide to leave thats all the time they dont have to pay the payment and they will find someone else to make it,in 2009 i grossed $130,000 and yes fuel was around $50,000 - your repairs and taxes and everything else,doesnt leave much!i think i brought home around $40,000 might as well be a company driver and bring that much home,and without all the headaches!well good luck

slabrunner, JerryC and Rosesmommy Thank this.
  10. RockyMtnMadman

RockyMtnMadman Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Bear in mind that if you go Alliance, you lose your benefits through Stevens. So if you have a family, Health insurance is a HUGE factor and will cost considerably more for 5 rather than just an individual. So that extra 7 cents per mile that you MIGHT see suddenly becomes less. And you have to consider the amount of personal risk you are taking on. Now of course if you work and provide insurance for the family already, AND if you've run a business before, AND if you are as "ON THE BALL" as TLeaHeart is, it MIGHT be worth the extra work.

I meet all the above criteria but I doubt I'll lease because I don't want the liability.

THAT BEING SAID - there is an option where Stevens lets you TRY the lease option for 2 months to see if it's workable for you - so at least there is an OUT.

I start OR2 tomorrow myself in Dallas. So I'm a newbie, but the above information is still pertinent. I wish you the best of luck. By making it to OR2, there's already a huge hurdle behind your husband. Just keep reminding him how nice it will be once he gets his own truck!!!!!

11. TLeaHeart

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    If he wants, go with the pre-alliance fleet. It is The grad fleet ran like you are an alliance driver, yet you are qualifying, and being paid as a company driver, and making more than the training pay. At the end of the 60 to 90 days he can stay a company driver or sign on the dotted line. Just do not believe all the hype about alliance, it is hard, and with a family, health insurance would eat up the extra I do make.

And there is always, and I repeat Always 40 to 50 people waiting on trucks. Go pre alliance, get a truck quicker, and then make a decision.

It will be frustrating dealing with all the rules, the QC messages, and seam totally stupid, at times, stick with it, it does get easier and better.

There are 40 to 50 people who quit each week too. There is always the option of picking up an abandoned truck too.

twinrose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.