Stevens Transport - Dallas, Tx.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bb king, Jun 10, 2005.

1. wgcarver

wgcarver Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Eastpointe,MI
    I still am driving as a company driver for Stevens Transport. So far, they've delivered what was promised. However, I knew what questions to ask before I got there.

I guess having sales experience helps remove the salesman hype from real life.

I arrived in June of 2007 for a week of orientation. The first day was somewhat of a disappointment since the first half of it was filling out forms while being guided through. Then I realized that perhaps I'm smarter than the average bear. Some people hired did need step by step help filling out the forms, so I patiently followed along. There are some drivers like myself that have chosen this career because it looks a fun and interesting way to make a living and there are those that driving a truck is all they can do. (not demeaning the driver here. I am one.)

I had two trainers. The first one ending in disaster (fired for having his child aboard with a student without stevens knowledge. That's actually a violation of federal law.) but it was not stevens fault. The trainer was very patient, knowledgeable clean cut and a genuine nice guy.

My second trainer was a former convicted felon who had turned his life around. Again, very knowledgeable, clean and for the most part a good teacher. However he did spend quite some time on the phone arguing with his girlfriend(s). Even so, I found it entertaining.

I came back from the 35 days of training which actually took about 40 days with the delay of finding the second trainer. Stevens had made me priority one for finding a trainer, but also being on greyhound hell for two days was a trial of patience. They had allowed me to get some rest for the night and had me back on the road with the trainer the next day.

Once I returned to the yard with the trainer, the second orientation class started my trainee/trainee team codriver was selected. (mutually, we chose each other) To this day, both trainers and my trainee team partner are very good friends and we speak via phone on a regular basis.

I'm now on my final time off before getting off of stevens final form of training called gradfleet. It's not officially training, but I consider it that. During that 90 days stevens has still "held my hand" on a regular basis to truly learn the ropes. there is quite a bit to learn once you are a solo driver.

I've heard horror stories about Stevens, Schneider, Swift, Werner. you name the company, you'll hear the same complaints. For me Stevens has met the sales pitch I bought. Did the recruiter embellish on some things. Yes. He's a salesman. Most of which was actually a misunderstanding of what was said on my part and I've talked with him to help him sell the experience of working for stevens more truthfully. If a salesperson actually delivers the right expectations, the company won't lose drivers.

I chose stevens for their recognized training program for new drivers which i believe is second to none. You're "on the hill" with trailers and trucks, not cones. They have set up real situations on that hill that you will deal with. The quality of the majority of their trainers has been good. The quality of the classroom as been more than adequate.

does stevens have their warts? Of course. All trucking companies do. That's why drivers bolt to other companies. However if you go to a company and you don't like something, express it. Change it. Your trucking career is what Y O U make it.

So whomever you select as your first company, make sure the fit is perfect. But also be aware that once you get there, it will no longer be perfect.

6237 signing off.
    May God bless you and keep you safe.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigpapa7272

bigpapa7272 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Baltimore
    wow great post you have renewed some interest in them for me

4. Himes3328

Himes3328 Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    Thanks for the info...glad I got it before going to STEVENS..Not that I would give up my CDL for them...I paid for it and my own training and my own CDL tester years ago and have had my CDL for about 11 years...I just can't see a reason to give it to someone in Texas and aquire a Texas license.:biggrin_25523:

5. Crom88

Crom88 Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Very well said. God bless and happy holidays.

6. wgcarver

wgcarver Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Eastpointe,MI
    I don't know where the CDL transfer to Texas came from. My CDL is from Michigan. I earned it before going to stevens.

It may be that your operators license must be transferred to texas in order to take the CDL Class A test in Texas and therefore they do that. If you already have a CDL, there is no move necessary.

The physical given at stevens if you have already passed a physical to get your CDL license is for the company, not necessarily for the state. Stevens has higher standards than the State of Texas so that they meet the requirements of all states which they travel.

7. Radar

Radar Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2007
    I have a California CDL License with a Texas address on it. Maybe its because I am active duty in the USN stationed in CA. Will be retiring from 20 years of active duty next month and plan on changing it to an address in CA.

8. Himes3328

Himes3328 Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    MILTON, FLORIDA
    It's due to your military status..:yes2557:

9. Grinnbearit

Grinnbearit Bobtail Member

Carver,

What you just posted was huge. Been on boards for a short time but many have advised I stay away from this outfit. I even talked to a long tenured trainer from Stevens once before leaving the ARMY and he summed it up similar to the way you did. I have to agree with you that being in sales prior to my training it is hard to believe everything someone tells you. D*** good to see someone having some success at this company. Ups and downs are going to hapen anywhere you go. You just hope that you have more sunny days than stormy ones and that along with pride in your career makes it all worth it. Oh yeah and the money too.

Grinn

10. biker40

biker40 Bobtail Member

Dec 3, 2007
    St. louis, Missouri
    They pretty much do that all over in every state that has a truck driving school in it. You will get your cdl in the state you trained in and then you have to go home and turn it in to get your cdl in the state you live in.

Biker

11. gypsie

gypsie Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2007
    kokomo, indiana
    hey, this is par for the course with most trucking companies. we went thru the exact same thing with a company out of indianapolis. we lost everything after 3 months of no income. we revenued 50,000 in the 1st 6 months. we got 25,000 but after fuel, and paying off debts to the company we managed to see $3000 for 6 months work in our bank account. it isn't just one company!! the trucking industry is making moooola bucks for training and recruiting, the oil companies are making billions in profits for the fuel we need. we are getting chicken scratch and we are the ones doing all the work!!! and us and our families are getting all the stress and lost time. i am not kidding, we lost our home and all but our personal vehicle which our son ended up paying off for us. the company didn't care. "what do you need a home for"? live in the truck. truck driving is slave labor. only the companies are making any money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.