Stevens Transport - Dallas, Tx.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by bb king, Jun 10, 2005.

1. bigbill586

bigbill586 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2008
    chesterfield, michigan
    yaeh ive heard alot of drivers that have siad 10,12 years ago stevens was terrible what ive heard from drivers that have been with steves that long it probably was pretty bad but ive just recently went through the thing with stevens and i think its been a great expierence only thing that bothers me is the baby sitting they do, but i can understand it.
    There alot of people that need constant lookin over out thier so they dont kill there self or some one else. But the training they have here is by far better than 90% of the companys out there no one can deny that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    The training was top notch. If I were running a trucking company, and hiring drivers, a driver that came up through Stevens would score some points with me right off the bat. The trainer I primarily had only had 2 years of experience at the time, but he was ###### good at training despite that. He took it seriously, unlike others who just used their students for an extra log book, or like the first guy they stuck me with, made me do all the night driving while he slept. (which is insane, btw)

The real fun began after they gave me the solo truck. They didn't want to pay me. Every Friday there was a screaming match with the payroll lady because half my check was missing. It was a nightmare. That really was my only problem with them. But, that's a big problem as far as I'm concerned.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  4. mlrs138

mlrs138 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Mission
    To all u guys crying about stevens:

First of all, i guess u guys are used to hardly working instead of hard working.. i mean cmon, if u dont like stevens well just dont come to work for them.. i dont think they need u guys that much to tell u the truth.
    Im a veteran, i spend 1 year in irak as a truck driver, i got shot at every other day and my truck got hit with 2 ieds.. in comparation to that this is easy at least here im not getting shot or ied.. i guess u guys used to stuff being given to u in a silver spoon or something.. I start with stevens from the bottom, i been working with them for the past yr an half and to tell u the truth i hvent got any major problems with them so far, other than stupid lil stuff.. I run an average of 3500 to 3000 miles a week and make around 800 to 1000 dlls but i bust my ### in the process.. yeah the start is hard but believe me if u work hard , dont complain and make ur pick ups and drops on time at some point everything is gonna get better... Now after a year i hardly speak to my dm, i have speak to him maybe once in thye past two months.. i dont really need him all the info i need is in the ld asggmnt.. I been in the road for the past 6 months people think im crazy but im a goal oriented person and this job is the means for something else.. i have now in my bank account close to 10,000 dlls just from the past six months.. of course i spend money but i run in a tight budget and stick to write down all my expenses no matter how small they are.. plus i dont have a wife or kids.
    Every job is hard and im a military man so im used to hard work and i not scared of it.. so like i say all u guys that dont wanna come to work for stevens.. well dont come here.. thats more miles for me and more money in my pocket!!!
    Now i been running like crazy for the past month, as soon as i get empty, not even two hrs later im already schedule for a pick up.. i have talk to other stevens drivers with my same time in the company and they have told me that they make 300 to 400 dlls a week, and i ask myself how come im making and avg of 800 to 900 dlls a week???
    I tell u how i work harder than them thats how.. i run my hrs , make my pick ups and deliveries on time, and dont ##### about the loads im given.
    this was my schedule for the past week and half..
    I started in laredo, pu a load and deliver that same day in ft.worth, took a 10hr break and next morning aroun 0800 i had a trip from grand prairie to denver,co.. grab the ld and deliver took me 2 days, i got empty around 1900 and at 2100 got another ld. deadhead from denver,co to liberal kansas, going to la, got repower in kingman,az because some guy couldnt make is ld to fresno,ca. got to fresno,ca the next day and deliver aroun 0700, at 1100 got a call from stevens, they needed help with a load from modesto, ca to cheyenne,wy, apparently some trainees didnt wanted to go up donner pass, they just lifted the chain law that day, so got that one and deliver two days later, then took a 34hr restart in cheyenne, a soon my 34 hrs where done i got a load , deadhead from cheyenne to lexington,ne pu a meat load to chicago il. i pu around 2200 and deliver the next day at 1000 in the morning, as soon as i was empty, got another load, pick up at midnight, and i just make my two deliveries this morning in harrisburg, pa and im like 10 miles from the border with ny st in route to my final drp in syracuse,ny now that was for the last 2 weeks maybe and i make around 1000 dlls plus i have around 3000 miles i havent turn in.. and thats no bull...
    One thing thats for real i think stevens have the best trucking school in the country.. i got there not knowing how to drive shift and three weeks later i was driving like i had driven all my life ( for those of u that dont know all vehicles in the military, trucks, humvees, launchers, tanks, etc are automatic, any dumb guy can drive a tank!!)
    Like i said i havent seen my parents and brother for a while, but this is a means to something else.. hopefully i should have close to 20000 dlls in my bank accnt by august so that and my gibill should put me through college real comfortably , as much as i like driving, i aint doing this my entire life...
    So like i said to all of u that keep crying and moaning about stevens, dont come here, stay away and help me put myself thru college.. less drivers more miles for me and the drivers like me that DO work!!!

5. mlrs138

mlrs138 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Mission
    ohh, by the way im not an stevens cheerleader, i just hate cry babies!!!
    Like they used to tell me in the army DRINK WATER, CARRY ON, PRIVATE!!

6. Stank0

Stank0 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Fl
    mlrs138: Thanx. That's how I feel it too. Coudn't put it better.
    I only want to add that I was never told to run overweight or any other illegalities. Quite the opposite. Once I was 800lbs over gross. They sent me back to the shipper to subtract the excess weight.
    I go wherever they send me no matter how much I might not like it. The job has to be done and why not by me? Next time I'll get better ld.

Oh I've been asked by my dm already two times if I'm ready to go home for some time off. I said no, let me run for one more mnth.

7. moonshadow

moonshadow Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Denver

Good Post, Good Work Ethic, Best of Luck to you.

One simple suggestion, can you break your posts into a couple of paragrahps...makes it easier on the eyes.

8. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I said the training was great. I have a lot of respect for the people who run the training program.

Crybaby? You know what, when I ran 3500 miles in a week and got a $150 paycheck, yeah, I'm gonna cry about it. Hell, at the time I was only getting 22 cents a mile to begin with. I'd turn in two trips in the same FedEX envelope, and only get paid for one. When I'd call in and confront them about it, they would tell me, no, I never sent it. Every Friday was a screaming match. I don't know if things have improved, but that's how it was 12 years ago.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  9. nolookingback

nolookingback Bobtail Member

Thank you it was very helpful great post the best I have read so far.

10. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I can not comment on the school or the payements about the school as I went to a school of my choice and then went to Stevens, where stevens paid me $200 for my air fare to dallas, where the hotel was FREE for the week of orinentation I and II, and while I waited for a truck. They also pay me $25 per week until my school is paid back to me.

No longer Fedex trips in, all are scanned in using Transflo at Pilots and Loves, get paid 2 business days after the day of scanning. Have never had a problem with payroll, and when $50 lumper fee was not paid back to me, a simple phone call, cleared it up, and it was on my next settelment.

Direct Competition is partially owned by Aaron, (FFE, American Eagle, Lisa).

Stevens Transport consists of The school, Paragon Leasing (who owns the trucks), Stevens Brokerage and logistics, and Transport, all separate companies on paper, all privately held by the Aaron Family.

Training has changed, as you no longer go out with another student for 3 weeks, but with a finish trainer.

Ask many questions before going to dallas, and make sure you are satisfied with the answers... recruiters tell you what they think you want to hear.

As a company driver you are forced dispatched, you are given a load, and expected to do the best you can to get it delivered. NYC is not as bad as many people make it out to be, Stevens has very few drop locations in NYC, Hunts Point, Western beef, Bronx, and designated routes in and out. If you can follow directions, it is a breeze.

You will NOT see NYC for the first 90 days solo, company policy, then you will see it.
    I would rather deliver into hunts point, than Los Angeles.

You must secure all company equipment at an approved location, tractor, trailer.
    Only Alliance Drivers may take the tractor home.

I drive for Stevens, I am happy with the company, have been with them for one year now. I average 2800 miles a week. Last week was 3700, I ran my tail off, and then set in Cali for 2 days to recover, and get hours to drive.

If that makes me a cheerleader, then so be it. I have made Stevens work for me. :)

11. mlrs138

mlrs138 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Mission
    To tell u the truth, i didnt wanted to offend anybody with my post.
    Like my dad used to say "if the shoe fits".

It just the way i think and im just tired of people complaining.
    I understand that everybody has a different experience, but i think that if u go with a positive attitude and ready to do the job like i did, u re going to have a good one..

I mean when u say about the 3500 miles u ran and got like 150 dlls paid, i mean that was 12 years ago, a lot of #### changed in 12 years. I mean clinton was still president, i was 13 years old.

Where i want to get is that u cant give an actual assesment on something when ur info or facts are 12 years old!!!

Stevens uses transflo now, and usually u get paid 2 bussines days after u turn in ur trips.
    So far i havent have an issue with payroll and i been as a solo driver for the past year.
    I mean yeah u have to turn in ur paperwork correctly if u dont then they usually send u a qc explainin why they didnt paid u and that u have to turn in ur paperwork again and thats about it.

moonshadow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.