Stock CB antennas, worth replacing?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Six9GS, Mar 26, 2022.

1. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    My advice for a Volvo is to bypass the factory junk altogether.
    Purchase a steel antenna mount I think it’s called a bird perch. It goes into one of the mirror bolts, buy a good antenna and coax.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada

Noooooo not the perch.....They cant or dont take the weight,some are not machined very well and are constantly loose and if mounted on the drivers side the wind blast on the antenna can over tighten and strip....

4. Calebcrawdad777

Calebcrawdad777 Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Old thread, but twice I have ran new CB coax in VNL760s. The Factory CB coax runs through the dash, out the cab, through the Driver side mirror and up to the mount. IMO, if you are just a simple CB user, then stick with factory setup. It isn't terrible from the factory.

However if you ever want to kick it up a notch. The Volvos benefit from a new coax and mount, the most. My last 760 I ran 240 Ultra flex to the driver side. I ground off the paint where the adapter mount goes, for a better ground. I then ran a ground strap down to the chassis. I ran power from the battery up to the radio. You might as well, cause you will have everything apart. I had a browning single coil antenna and one on the passenger side, so it matched. I was also running a Stryker 955. It was the best setup I ever had in a semi. I could hear everything going on around me and it was crystal clear. I was hearing about backups while I was 5-10 miles down the road from them. One night running down to Tennessee. I was talking to a guy the whole way through Kentucky. Someone caught up to us and thought we were running amplifiers. I was transmitting clear as bell over 10 miles away. Pretty good considering how hilly I65 is through there. I was still getting good results on a Cobra 29 I was running, before I put my Stryker in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.