Stop lamps and Jake brakes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jship, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Who are you?

There are no laws governing this. No legislation either.

What are the regulations that say it is illegal?

ZVar, pushbroom, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It’s not illegal to use the engine brake in a city unless that city has an ordinance against it. Many places now have signs that state unmuffled engine brakes prohibited.

And with my MX13 I can start jaking at highway speed and almost bring it to a complete stop on an off ramp without touching the brakes. To the point that the other day I was slowing to turn onto the bypass road on the south side of Great Bend KS. I had my right signal on but wasn’t using the brakes. The truck behind me got on the radio and said my signal was working but I didn’t have any brake lights.

I don’t see an issue with the brake lights coming on with the engine brake. Especially with these new engines.

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Op must be special, never been asked about brake lights and Jake in 45 years of driving. I must live a sheltered life.

Tropsnart, flood, Swine hauler and 2 others Thank this.
  5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    There is no liability; this thread is silly.

This is why drivers should never do a reset on the road... too much time to think up crazy stuff.

Bean Jr., pushbroom and flood Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'm in the camp that thinks brake lights activating with the Jake is stupid.

But I have to disagree with the statements above that say a Jake don't apply enough braking power to risk being rear ended. Not all engine brakes are created equal. The jake on my old k100 would lock the tires up on dry pavement when bobtail.

Heck the Jake on my current truck will hold the truck back all the way down monteagle fully loaded. That's the way it's supposed to be. You should be in a gear that allows you to descend a grade without ever touching the service brake, that keeps all your braking power held in reserve in case you need to make an emergency stop.

Bean Jr. and Swine hauler Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I thought that the OP would be back by now.

8. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    He’s back at the TA counter of knowledge getting new ideas.

ZVar, Petty Cash, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  9. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Illegal to use in the city or not, if I need to get my truck stopped in a real hurry, I'm using every tool available to me to do so, up to and including my jakes. Law man can pound sand if he'd rather I DIDN'T do everything in my power to stop the truck in time

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ummm i would agree the lights coming on with the jakes is unessary . But i think u are full of #### that there is a law written about it. And if somebody slams into the back of me then it is their fault for following to close. U must have a really bad lawyer.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    The OP must be parked at the fuel island taking a shower. Give him a few hours and he will be back.
    I am not going to debate if it is legal or not because I honestly don’t know the answer. But if I was a betting man I would say it is legal because I have seen them come from the OEM that way and can’t imagine an OEM exposing themselves to the liability knowingly.
    But I will dispute his story of who would be at fault in an accident....consider a four wheeler being driven by a blue hair who rides his brake down the hill. Deer jumps out he mashes the pedal harder but the brake lights don’t go brighter. Blue hair gets A@&ed...who is at fault? Not the blue hair.

D.Tibbitt, Bean Jr. and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  12. Old Man

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK

OEM aren’t always right.
    I passed a new tow away rock crusher that had just pulled out of the factory, had 2 red tail lights and two amber tail lights.
    Steady burning amber lights on the rear are illegal, it is in the green book. You want the number look it up. Just because it’s OEM it may not be legal.

Bean Jr. and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.