Stop lamps and Jake brakes

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jship, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I found this info posted by a technician when searching for any laws regulating this...

"if you go to California, Illinois, or Colorado you can't have it disabled. The shop won't do it while the truck is under contract and warranty. Those states and Canada require that feature on all 2015 models and newer. It's a safety feature that they have implemented in their transportation bills.

We get asked that often and this is the information told to us and what pops up on our screens when we try to change the parameter."
    (Kenworth T680. When I engage the jake brake, the brake).

I frankly don't really care enough to go searching state transportation bills to verify this but it dose seem that I started seeing this around 2015.

Bean Jr. and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just an FYI.

Yes a few states have said it is required but that is for instate sales.

There are a few regulations covering it, they don’t say it can’t be done by the way, but no laws on the federal level that govern it.

It isn’t illegal and I would like to see what court cases the op is talking about.

It can be turned off, I won’t say how but it has to go through the manufacturers software.

TTNJ and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  4. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm still trying to get past the 86 Mack putting todays Jakes to shame part. He definitely cant be talking about a dynatard.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  5. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Hmmm...odd. I actually agree with Ridgeline, LOL.
    I think the OP and a few others who thought they knew what they were talking about are long gone....or they are still taking a nap at the fuel island.

6. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    On my 2019 T680 brake lights come on with the jakes. I've had other drivers call me on the radio several times as I go down a grade telling me I should let off my brakes before they overheat. I have to tell them that it's my jakes.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There's millions of truckers that don't know.

I thought burning up the brakes, too, till this forum mentioned it.

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  8. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    Got mine turned off on a 2020 Kenworth, all I had to do was ask my home dealership to do it. I live in Colorado and bought the truck in Colorado.

9. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    When you think about it, brake lights coming in with the Jake brake makes perfect sense.
    The lights are called brake lights, not stop lights. The Jake is a brake and used to slow the vehicle down and that’s really when the brake light should come on. Blue hairs ride the brake all day long and the brake light is on.
    I didn’t know the law and but stated I didn’t know the law as well. But I was confident that an OEM would not put a product out there that does not conform to the law and arguably is a safety issue.
    Classic case of always considering the source I guess because there were a few folks who posted that they knew it was absolutely illegal!

daf105paccar Thanks this.
  10. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    I can see your point but the most common use of jake brakes (IMHO) is to maintain a given speed on a downhill, not to actually slow the vehicle.

I personally would not want the brake lights activated by jakes in the mountains. On flatter ground I could see it but it's not like jakes are going to give you the sudden deceleration that the service brakes will so I don't really see this as any real benefit.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I think it’s confusing and irritating to traffic behind you. I know l will be on my toes at first when I come up behind a newer truck that flashes its brake lights everytime the cruise slows it down or the driver wiggles his toe on the fuel peddle and causes the truck to slow a bit. Seen it dozens of times in a few miles on flat lands.
    But after awhile its like its crying wolf and you start to ignore it cause the truck isn’t slowing. Than when it does LOOK OUT!
    I think it should only work if it senses an actual change in g-force not a slight coast or holding mode.

Bean Jr. and larry2903 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.