STOP TAKING CHEAP FREIGHT YOU IDIOTS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by wildcoyote, May 30, 2022.

1. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    I run an 8 axle rgn. 2020 star and a 2017 trailer I bought new. My operating costs including salary and a 20% profit margin is 3.20 a mile base on 8,000 miles a month. And you mean to tell me that it cost you 2.97 to operate a hot shot?

merv85, ExOTR, Jammer' and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wildcoyote

wildcoyote Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Isn't that the truth, I'm fortunate to have this only be 1 of 4 businesses of mine, but it should profit just like the rest. The pickup, trailer, and tractor (FLD132) can all sit in the driveway until the market has a load that works for me. I will go work in the shop and continue to profit while staying home.

4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It's based on post count. After a certain amount of posts, it will change to "light load member", and so on.

OP, the people taking cheap freight aren't on this forum. It's English only.

5. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    The numbers don't lie, but if you run more (which you are basing on 96k miles a year/I'm basing 75k a year) I have the same insurance as you and assuming I get a little better mileage than you, yeah I would say I'm close to true cost of 75k a year. The problem with a hotshot is maintenance, I have to spend twice as much on repairs and maintenance as you, but you get a truck that lasts many more miles, I have to replace my truck more often than you. I own a semi and have been driving them, I know they are much better built and honestly, they are cheaper in the parts department to get good quality parts. As a shop owner and master mechanic I'm 100% sure of the parts price disparity on basic items. I can buy a gearbox for a heavy truck for half the cost of a pickup gearbox.

6. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Ain't that the truth!

7. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Cummins 6.7, that isn't just oil and filter/that's all fluids except power steering and coolant.

8. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Take home is after taxes so you would need to make 120k to make 75k. This is basic math/accounting, as a business owner, this is 101.

9. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Wish I knew, this is my effort, thought about going to the news, but not sure if that's the best idea.

10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Last time that happened, JFK got shot.

11. wildcoyote

Apr 20, 2014
    Michigan
    I updated the original post to include 15k empty miles with new numbers. You will really be surprised at the result.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.