straps outside frame rail - yes or no ?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dannythetrucker, Jan 17, 2014.

1. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I've thrown them rolled side for 30... so what's that mean? Lobbing a chunk of steel across my truck and load never seemed like a good idea. Never understood winding all that crap up in the winch either. Sucks when it's 15' of frozen roll when the weather's bad and you have to get them all loose. Throw the hooks, go around the trailer, hook all the hooks, go back around the trailer to tighten. How is that efficient? Hook it, throw the roll, make one trip to the other side and tighten. One less trip.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Every time I see someone throw a hook, I think it's their first day on a truck.

JonJon78, beastr123 and PoleCrusher Thank this.
  4. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    I can throw 50’ straps over 15’ tall loads with relative easy with the right technique. If guys are “playing with a strap like a yo-yo” maybe they got hit in the head by the ####### next to them throwing hooks? 4690B7A9-F13F-4381-A18D-2B3294FD5CE2.jpeg

5. PoleCrusher

PoleCrusher Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    LLMF
    I'd like to see that strap toss in action, cause yeah, that's a heck of a good arm to get all the way across in one shot.

Tug Toy and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  6. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    PoleCrusher Thanks this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    It starts at about the 3:15 mark.

That is the method I use for throwing long straps over tall loads. The key is to stand about 10 feet away from the trailer, and also make sure your strap is rolled so that it unrolls as it goes over the load. That way you don’t have to get the strap all the way over the load just have to get it up on top and it will usually roll itself out, at least on loads like crates and such.

It definitely takes a little bit to master that technique. The first few loads like that weren’t very fun, 50 foot straps are a pain in the ### to deal with. Specially when you have to re-roll each one at least once because you didn’t make it over the load the first time.

8. AKDoug

Mar 21, 2018
    I do 15' tall loads of foam panels all the time, but only 8' wide. Even with my aging shoulders I have zero issues throwing across that . The secret is to stand back a few steps and throw it neatly so that it will land on top and roll across and drop off the other side. Every once in a while I can get one to completely clear, but you don't have to.

9. AKDoug

Mar 21, 2018
  10. God prefers Diesels

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Give it a few good tries. If you can chuck a rolled strap over that load already, then this method will work like a dream for you. The guy in the video makes it look a lot more complicated than it is, because he's trying to illustrate exactly what to do. But in practice, it only takes a couple seconds to set the strap up for a throw. Slight whip, and that thing will go for a mile.

Tug Toy, TripleSix, kylefitzy and 2 others Thank this.
  11. AKDoug

Mar 21, 2018
    Got a load of lumber on Monday.. will try it out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.