Stress/depression from working at night?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JSanborn103, Apr 4, 2021.

1. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    I disagree. Younger drivers have tougher time staying awake all night. See who’s generally upside down in the ditch all by themselves
    Once into 40’s nights is easier. I so old I don’t even blink at night

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Google SAD light. “Seasonal something disorder”. Specific light for seasonal depression

4. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I know where you are coming from. Years ago when I was a local company driver I worked 12am to 12pm for 4.5 years. I was a lot younger then and had less responsibilities, but there wasn't much of a social life. I suggest you try and look for day work if its getting to you that much.

5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I’ve done variants of that in overnight runs. One time. Set the alarm for 1/2 hour later. I woke up 3 hours later. Doh!

tscottme, nredfor88 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Tanning will get you out of that funk. A lot of tanning salons are 24/7 if your in a metro area.

JSanborn103 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    There is an actual Seasonal depressive syndrome caused by lack of sunlight. You may have it. It’s very common. Or maybe your thoughts are more intense, due to lack of daytime diversions. Something to think about, Lol. I drive mainly at night, 5:00 pm till 3:00, or 4:00. I like it. I tend to think a lot more during night driving. No longer negative, but for a while, I would be haunted with anger, thoughts of revenge. Had something to do with being alone with my own thoughts. I haven’t had the problem in years, but it was awful. I finally learned how to control my thinking, letting go of resentment. Also learned to understand things like others behaviors and motivations. Strange how the night moves. Can’t let Depression take a hold, it can get much worse. Whatever the cause, go forward on auto pilot if you have to, till you get it figured out. Nothing lasts forever. Anxiety is the #1 symptom of depression. A temporary antidepressant if needed. I recently started taking 10 mg Zoloft. It helps a lot. Haven’t had any depression for at least 30 yrs. But I’ve been expecting it, based on what I’ve read. No stigma here. It’s no different than putting a cast on a broken arm. I don’t plan on taking it very long. But if I have to I will. Only because I know the depths of hell depression can take me to. Don’t ever want to go there again. Have to be Pro active, others around you have no idea. All they see is the outside. I usually don’t mention such things as it’s no ones Business, but if I can help someone avoid a major depression, I feel I’m obligated. Too much stigma, about what’s often just a physical thing. Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Speed_Drums, JSanborn103 and rachi Thank this.
  8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    *checks my 37 year old birth cert*

You mean night driving gets even EASIER than it already is? Hallelujah, working will basically be a vacation

Night owl since i was 10.

tscottme, Rideandrepair and plankton Thank this.
  9. JerseyBarrierRacer

JerseyBarrierRacer Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Night flyer here. Its a lonely world. Nights will drive you crazy if you aren't already. Then again I think if you're not crazy nowadays there is something wrong with you.

still beats having to drive in the daytime traffic jam with all the old people who can't handle bright headlights. if you're not dealing with rush hour, you're dealing with jobless morons taking a slow joy ride. Only thing you gotta worry about at night is the occasional drunk driver, but if you run them into the ditch at least they wont remember what your truck looks like

as far as the depression goes, we all have it. it can't all be wedding cake

10. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    It must have been a good deep sleep!

WesternPlains and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Melatonin 200mg L-theanine. 100% drug free and your just replacing what you body is lacking in producing. You don't take them everyday. Do a week cycle to get rest. Stop taking them till you start having trouble again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.