Struggling with training for fuel delivery

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by merlensbox, Apr 23, 2017.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'm saying help give him confidence.

Ricco1689 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ricco1689

Ricco1689 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NY
    He's got 5 years trucking unless I read it wrong. No way in hell should a fresh cdl holder go right to tanker, especially class 3 hazmat.

G13Tomcat, merlensbox and noluck Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Might want to think about trying something else.

3 weeks is a lot of time to be training

P.S. How did you cross drop with a trainer ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    G13Tomcat and Ricco1689 Thank this.
  5. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    I was once asked by a fellow experienced tanker driver why I still gallonized my compartments (writing what I was going to load in each compartment, in Oregon 3500,1450-2450,1500,2950) after doing it for so long. I told him I also put a check by each compartment on my paper when I load and when I unload, everytime. He laughed and said it was a waste of time. A short while later this experienced driver had a major cross dump at one of our cardlocks. (The ultimate cost for this was $ 35,000.00 +, not counting the bad PR) He put the truck of diesel in the unlead and the trailer of unlead in the diesel. He did not even know he did it until he got a phone call later in the am after we started getting calls from customers and their vehicles started stalling out. This same driver also got distracted at the rack and loaded on top of an already loaded compartment and had a product mix. Get a system, use it every time, make small modifications over time, and you too can have 31 years under your belt without ever having a spill, cross dump, or product mix.

crb, brank, fargonaz and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Ricco1689

Ricco1689 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NY
    "P.S. How did you cross drop with a trainer ?"
    My thought exactly.

MrJoop and RockinChair Thank this.
  7. merlensbox

merlensbox Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    3 weeks is their minimum training time for people new to fuel hauling. my expectation was that i would have it down by week 1 but i didn't try hard enough, because i am used to just picking up new skills fast. (I'm actually used to my mistakes having minimal consequences), which until now i have mistook for being a fast learner.

yeah, about the trainer, i was displaying over confidence, and he must have bought it, because it took him and me both 1200 of 2000 gallons to catch it and stop the flow.

I appreciate your input but this forum has actually helped me identify some previously unforeseen flaws in my mindset and i am going to continue on this path. with my head on a little tighter now.

fargonaz and Ricco1689 Thank this.
  8. merlensbox

merlensbox Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2012
    I have been considering a system of check marks like that because i saw a flaw in my trainers method, of keeping track. his works well when there are no split loads just removing all caps and recapping the ports as soon as each one is finished. i will start.

Ricco1689 Thanks this.
  9. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    The main takeaway is get a system. I am slightly obsessive on not having an incident so my check system works for me. I do the same as you are doing with the caps at the loading rack. Once I get green lights, I open the internals, remove the caps and wipe down the dry break connection. After checking my load sheet, I hook the load header and get the product flowing. Once completed, I close the internal for that compartment, unhook the header, wipe down the dry break and replace the cap. Put a check on my load sheet, and that compartment is complete.
    I have a system that has kept me from cross dumping on deliveries.
    After the ground fitting is secure and the discharge hose is connected to the correct compartment, my last check is; I place my hand on the 1/4 turn and look at the tag. I say out loud what the tag is. I follow the hose with my eyes to the ground fitting. I then say out loud what ever the product is going in the ground. I then open the 1/4 turn a little and get the product flowing. (still time to stop if something is wrong at this point) After a moment I have confirmed flow and no leaks, I open the 1/4 turn all the way and double check my load sheet. This all takes just a few moments.

MrJoop, merlensbox and Ricco1689 Thank this.
  10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    @merlensbox May I suggest only loading/dropping one compartment at a time, at least until you develop an effective routine and become more comfortable? I think this would help you feel less overwhelmed.

I have a mental checklist that I go through each time I make or break a connection, and I always double-check everything immediately before I begin flow.

merlensbox and BigTennOTR Thank this.
  11. BigTennOTR

BigTennOTR Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Tenn
    Make a check list sheet of everything you need to do and how to do it....or get your Trainer to make one for you.....and also SLOWWWWWWWWW DOWN.....take your time dude you will get it

quatto and merlensbox Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.