Stuck in between Class A and B

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by primetom77, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primetom77

primetom77 Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Pleasantville NJ
    Okay here's my stiuation.I have been driving for trash compaines for nine years plus now.I've done it all rear load,front load,roll-off and fork/boom trucks.Last feb. I upgraded my cdl to A with hazmat and tanker.I been trying to get t/t job ever since Everybody wants you to have a year t/t expierience(I found out my 9 years on the class B don't mean nothin)I checked with swift and couple others they will hire me but I gotta go through their training at $300-400
    a week for six weeks.I'm doin $1100-1300 now runnin trash,I can't make on that little bit of money for 6 weeks.Even after their training is over they're talkin 45-47k a year.Is that all otr drivers make or is that just a lowball number they throw out there?I really don't need the training for 6 weeks I got driving in my blood.Where can I go get my first year in at decent rate?My goal is to get in at a fuel tanker company they do good round here(South NJ) and are home nightly

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SLIDER999

SLIDER999 Light Load Member

May 11, 2008
    PORT RICHEY, FL
    It appears all these companies are running scams. They make a lot of money off all the wanabe hires without a guarantee of a job. You got a good, safe, paying job now. Don't jump ship in this economy , it may very well turn into the Greater Depression. I get calls & then am told gotta be certified by the company school for $6K(at my personal expense). No thanks!

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    if you are getting 11-1300 now why change.
    Otr does not pay alot your first year you will make 30-45k if you are lucky. You have to run your butt off to make good money weekly.

5. primetom77

Aug 17, 2008
    Pleasantville NJ
    The money is usaully good but the boss is big time prick most of the time.Certain times of the year it slows down but I usually end up between 53-60k anual.I just always wanted to be a tractor trailer driver.Every now and then I get on the turnpike or i95 and I'm like starstuck watchin all the rigs running and the big truck stop are cool to me.figurung I'd go out and try it and see i like it as much as I think I would

6. MGASSEL

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    If you do not mind taking a pay cut then come on out and see how you like it.
    You can start out after training at 26-30 cpm at most company's you will need to run if you want good checks.
    Once I got my truck after training I made from 400-1000 after taxes per week. Providing I had time to scan my paperwork. The lower weeks was because I did not have time to scan in my paperwork.

7. primetom77

Aug 17, 2008
    Pleasantville NJ
    1000 sounds good but I can't make it taking less than 700 home weekly.I want at least be home on the weekends.I'd like a dedicated regional run

8. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Still gotta earn your wheels with a trainer first. There is a difference between class A & class B. I know, it doesn't seem fair, but keep looking, and you might find someone that will be able to set you up with what you are looking for. The biggest problem for some companies is actually their insurance carriers. Unless the company is self-insured, the insurance company actually has a hand in setting the requirements for amount of experience.

primetom77 Thanks this.
  9. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Mister, Lot's of otr drivers are looking for that...And Lots of them would leave the road in a heartbeat to take your job and be home...From where I sit, it sounds like you have it pretty good where you are at...

10. MGASSEL

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    Not to mention you will also need to learn the qualcomm alot of companies use the system, how properly fill out a logbook, hours of service etc. I thought that I could not survive on what I was getting paid during training but you need to learn how to eat cheap when you first go out.
    I lived on about 110-130 per week out of my training pay the rest went on my bills. It will be hard when you first start out.
    I can recomend May Trucking their training is based on you not a set period of time. They pay 420.00 per week but you can solo out in a couple of days if you and the trainer feels that you are ready.
    Then you will make as little as .30 cpm after that unless they will acknowledge the years that you were at your current job.

primetom77 Thanks this.
  11. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

If you got your CDL Class A now start looking at some of the smaller companies. Someone will hire you. Not all will pay that great so you have to becareful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.