Student recruiter at Conway TL

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by D33RHUNT3R, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Conway detention pay isn't worth the time it takes to tell the story....we got a raise last year, all the way to $12.25/hr. After 2 hours. I'll occasionally send in the form, mostly to have the satisfaction of being an irritant. Page 2? We/I hardly ever get detention. The CSR's set up the customers pretty well.
    The company is going with doubles on their new equipment. I don't hate super singles, but I don't like them. I think I feel more sidewall flex than I like, and if one gets flat, that's the sitdown situation. Park it and wait. Lots of those 2 lane back roads in No. NM/Colorado, no shoulder, steep sides. Get a flat supersingle you have to sit on the road with the horses, elk, and deer. Kinda risky.
    Conway has very good driver retention numbers, for what it's worth I'm not the only one doing OK there.
    I have found over and over that the FM's, finance, safety, and road service are very good at followup. They don't leave drivers hanging, which I really appreciate. of
    I'm an I/C, work about 25 days/month, average 3K. I think about chasing the magic pig, go flatbedding or O/O, and I will, but for now that represents risk, and I have a known solution in hand at Conway. I have a year left paying on my truck, after that, lower risk if I go in pursuit
    of more money.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    We were making 46.5 cpm I believe

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  4. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    great! I imagine you'll be going to Crowder, it's a good school, have fun , keep us posted

paul_4lp and D33RHUNT3R Thank this.
  5. roadhk

roadhk Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2015
    talk to Katura seems straight foward.

D33RHUNT3R Thanks this.
  6. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    good comp to start off with...top out in 2 yrs at 40cpm...
    rd service is a joke though....so be prepared to pick out your own repair places..
    dispatchers are hit miss
    miles tough to come by

7. Roerx69

Roerx69 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Currently at Schneider bulk, .405 cpm luv the work, but the miles they claimed i would get just arn't there. i might get 1800 miles on a good week, and only had a few of those in the past 6 months. 300 to 500 take home isn't paying the bills, so i've been looking to move. decided to check out conway truckload, talked to a recruiter. she said 2000-2200 average, lol. i said i needed minimum .40 cpm and guarantee of minimum 2300 miles per week (minus the occasional bad week here n there that is typical). i said i need to bring home a minimum of 800 per week on average. she said OK take care!! lol, guess conway cant pay their drivers well enough to guarantee anything. tho i do see some drivers doing well, and others not so much. but like alot of drivers say.... not worth being away from family for a measly few hundred dollars or so a week. i'll just keep looking

CargoWahgo Thanks this.
  8. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    They won't guarantee you anything, because they don't want you calling them complaining when you have a bad week.

9. Roerx69

Roerx69 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2014
    you're right Salad, lol i'll give it whatever shot i can tho to attempt to avoid having 3 months of "bad weeks" with the next company.

Call_me_Tom Thanks this.
  10. Salad

Salad Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2015
    I've worked for Con-Way truckload for a bit over 2 years (quit for personal reasons, and recently rehired on).

I averaged about 2400-2500 miles a week. My two Vacation paychecks (which are given based on a yearly average) were 988$ and 1,050$ respectively. With my experience and miles I am @ .40cpm.

I generally get between 2500-2800 miles a week. The main reasons that I don't get it in any particular week are breakdowns (they will reseat you if it's going to be a long breakdown, if you ask to be reseated.) And home time.

Accessory pay accounts for a large portion of my yearly earnings, with detention pay, stop pay, Northeast Pay, Driver Assist (this usually just means using a pallet jack to bring pallets to the rear of trailer for forklift), Hazmat Pay, Short Run Pay etc.

I had 142k miles my first year at Con-Way, my second year I had 140k. <- I should mention that my first year I teamed with a friend from another company. Second year I teamed for about 6 of the months. Probably get a bit less solo.

If I have 1 month of "bad weeks" I would be ready to jump ship too.

With 18 years of experience you should be getting more than .40CPM @ Con-way truckload. And you will average 2500 most weeks.

11. Roerx69

Roerx69 Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I don't have 18 years straight experience, why it says that?... I don't know. i started in 95, drove 7 years, joined the military, and am now back into trucking. some places accept prior experience, some places don't, so I am kinda limited on choices and have to start from bottom again and take the licks, but still... if I can't pay the bills..... I just dont like hoppin from company to company, and hope to find one i can stick with, not looking to get rich, willing to take the bad with the good, just as long as the bad doesnt outweight the good lol, i'd be happy. glad conway worked out for ya tho during your time there. just hard for me to jump ship without having alittle more guarantee. I do see a few companies now offering a minimum no matter what pay, they're far , few and between tho.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.