student requesting driver interviews

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MaizeNBlue88, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Ha, Ha, Haaa, that was good Six, Ha, Ha, Ha

TripleSix Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    really maize and blue ... giving up on football and going to swift school

Jwhis Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    20 minutes a day will get you through all of my 12000 posts That should fill out your 2 year degree nicely. (800 days, 15 posts per day)

I don't do interviews. They never go well. All you get is yes, no and that's pretty much it.

Want to learn? Get a CDL A and get hired on and roll out with a load. It's the only way to learn.

5. jon69

jon69 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Nobody is going to give you business secrets for free. Truck drivers in a way are all competitors out there.

The days of brotherhood are long gone.

6. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    You are on a public forum where truckers discuss "business secrets" every day.

Wargames Thanks this.
  7. MaizeNBlue88

MaizeNBlue88 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2018
    I understand your concerns with privacy! Maybe you can help with a question or two, below? I don't need any personal info, just your opinions. This is for a research project on tech apps in the trucking industry, and no personal info will be included.

Questions:
    1) How long have you been driving?
    2) What devices do you use for route navigation and ELD?
    3) What part of the job (other than driving for hours) takes the most time? Finding parking, waiting for dock appointments, paperwork, etc?

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  8. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    Sure. I can answer the ones below. No worries.

1) 5 years, 2 years over the road and 3 years local.

2) Route navigation I use the Rand McNally Truckers Atlas. I don't use gps. I will look at the area with Google Maps, but for navigation I use the Atlas and then call the customer for directions to their place, then use Google Maps to line it up. As far as elds, I don't go more than 100 miles from my home terminal, usually, but if I do, I will jump in our truck that has an eld device and use People Net.

3) Parking is probably the longest time eater that I do on a daily basis. I don't load or unload every day, but if I do, that takes longer than anything. Also, when I was otr, I sometimes had to wait a long time for my dispatcher to find me my next load. The paperwork takes a small bit of time. It is a lot less since there are elds, that was my favorite part of the job. Would allow me to relax.

MaizeNBlue88 and MBAngel Thank this.
  9. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Yeah, what MBAngel said
    If you put a quarter in the cup , I might answer.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  10. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    I second this reaponce, and will add. In that area there is also a pilot loves,ta truckstop.

11. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Oh boy is it that time of year again already. Sheesh this year is going fast. Every year as back as I can remember (over two decades) the student doing a paper, have trucking questions, cones along

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.