student with a background issue..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rick263, Jul 25, 2007.

1. rick263

rick263 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2007
    miami, fl
    hey there, i am currently a student at the CDL school in S. Florida. i have been interested in the industry for a long time, and finally made the jump to get my ### in gear. however, regardless what the company reps preach in the seminars, i have a problem with a 3rd degree felony that occurred last year for any pre-qual interviews. when companies say "no serious felonies" what exactly are they including? my issue is criminal mischief, and other than that i am clear.... i have been told that pulling local will be my best bet for a while, but i want OTR. any suggestions?? thx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scabs

scabs Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2007
    White Lake, MI
    Dont get down by not geting prehires right off. I have conviction and everybody was getting prehires execpt me. But then they came.
    It takes awhile to run background checks. good luck on getting a local gig right off. That goes for all new grads.
    Also on thing to remeber with companies you apply for NO CANADA.. Unless you get a waiver..

4. rick263

rick263 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2007
    miami, fl
    thanks for the info... i got the judge to write orders for travel in the lower 48 so that is a help. just anxious to get going!

5. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

By this comment, are we to assume you are also on probation? And required to report in occassionaly, or more.

That could cause an issue for OTR if it is the case.

6. Peeping_Tom

Peeping_Tom Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Sharpsburg, Ga
    he would just have to report in when he comes in town. this can all be handled by directly talking to his probation officer and the courts. biggest issue will be getting a job with a good company.

7. ddog

ddog Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Bradenton, fl
    Sounds like he is doing good, and often a probation counselor will suspend reporting for a job out of town after graduating any discipline. It would be cynical to prevent his rehabilitation of getting a good job, self confidence, and a contributing to society.

The key would be if you can leave FL. I can't wait until I can afford to leave this flat sand bar of a state.

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I didn't mean it to sound cynical. Only meant it to sound practical.

From the employers stand point... Are you required to report in, in person...Let's say on the 15th of EVERY month...then yes it may be an issue with the employer.

I agree, the fact that a Judge gave him permission to travel, speaks volumes about his potential, now and in the future.

But let's be realistic. It could hurt him with some companies, if he has a set time to report in. Travel papers, are just that, travel papers. Not a tardy slip. Unless that provision was addressed in those papers or with a probation officer, he will still have to meet his reporting requirements, or be in violation of parole/probation.

Suggestion for your OTR hopes... Check with Southern Refridgerated Transport. They're not the best by any measure of the stick. But they will give you a fair shake. As far as "minor felonies" go.

9. rick263

rick263 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2007
    miami, fl
    thanks much for all the info... yes, i am on probation which terms state i need permission to leave the county. my attorney got the judge to write orders saying "travel allowed in the 48 states for work, with an itinerary provided to probation." i have to meet with probation on the 2nd of the month in S. Florida... i spoke to some regional carriers that said that wont be a problem to work around, and others are just flat out "scared" by the word felony. i have been walking a straight line since this happened, but it seems like it will never go away! :biggrin_25510:

10. Peeping_Tom

Peeping_Tom Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Sharpsburg, Ga
    try getting bonded by the state, then your company won't be liable plus they get one heck of a tax cut when they hire you.

11. rick263

rick263 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2007
    miami, fl
    bonded by the state? what is this all about?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.