My first fight with a broker as an Owner Operator

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by gekko1323, Jun 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Hello folks,

So this is going on at the moment. This is actually my first broker broo-ha, so I need a little guidance. I plan to see it out just for the experience.

So yesterday I'm in Hutchens, TX and I sign for a power-only picking up in Ft. Worth 30 miles away. It is a 7-day loadout ending up in El Paso for $500. Broker is Hola Transportation. Pick is 4 pm at the latest.

So I get the ratecon at 2:47 pm. I notice that the rate is incorrect at $695, and also in the lower left where I'm supposed to sign, there is another carrier's name by mistake. All my other info is correct. Probably an oversight on their part.

So I called them and advise them. She says that since time is of the essence, just cross out the other company's name and insert mine, then send it back to her. I agreed, but I told her I would not pick up unless I received a corrected ratecon. Then I got rolling.

At 3:33 pm, I received the "corrected" ratecon. They had changed the $695 to $500, but FORGOT to correct the company name on the lower left. I DID NOT SIGN. I Called again.

At 4:02 pm, I finally received the corrected ratecon. So I get out of my truck and walk to the shipper's office. GONE FOR THE WEEKEND. I'm livid and I shot the broker a couple of colorful emails. I then headed to the Love's on I-35 south of Ft. Worth. They of course tried to deflect and put the blame on me, saying that I had received the ratecon with more than enough time to make it to the shipper. I replied that the ratecons were INCORRECT TWICE, and that with all the fraud going on, I was not going to accept until they sent me a correct one, which they finally did AFTER shipper had closed.

So today I get an email from the broker stating that they are going to give the load to another carrier on Monday. I reminded him that we have a binding agreement. He said that if I wanted to stay on the load, that I would have to sign the last ratecon they sent me for $500. (I had never signed the last ratecon when I had arrived at the shipper because every minute counted at that point.)

So now I'm not taking kindly to being pushed around or manipulated. I tell him that if he broke the agreement, I would go after his bond AND his customer for $695. I gave him the option of giving me $150 TONU/Layover, and releasing him of his obligation.

He came back with either: A) accept $75 TONU and terminate our agreement, B) stay on the load but I would have to sign the last ratecon for $500, or C) he would give the load away.

So now I'm itching for a fight. I told him HIS choices were to either give me $150 TONU, or I would file against him and shipper for $695. I also told him that I would be shooting an email to his customer advising on what is going on.

His last reply was, "I will take the consequences."

Any advice from you guys? Understand that the money is not the issue. Hell, I can take the $75 and be tickled pink to just get them out of my life. But it's the PRINCIPLE now. Plus I need to learn the process on how to fight these scum bags.

D.Tibbitt and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Take him at his word.

File and let him take the consequences.

4. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Do I have a leg to stand on?

5. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Not really since you dont have a proper ratecon, 75$ was generous on his end

Opendeckin, gekko1323 and Concorde Thank this.
  6. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    With incorrect paperwork that you corrected and then more incorrect paperwork that you never signed, not much.

But, you do have a paper trail of sorts. Might cause the broker problems down the road. Might p.o. the shipper too. I'd be talking to them and ruining the brokers future business relationship. Maybe the shipper would be willing to cut out the broker and deal direct with you.

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    You're now learning where the "broke" in "broker" comes from....:rolleyes: :p

-- Lual

8. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    No. You agreed to haul it for 500. Now that you know you could have gotten 695 you are unwilling to haul it for 5. Secondly, why didn’t you pick it up earlier? I understand not delivering until you have the right rate con. But you had all the info needed to make the pick up and deal with the paperwork later.

You can file on the bond, but you won’t get paid for it.

9. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    If you're truly ready for a fight on this to prove a point... and money doesn't matter... a letter from a good law firm will usually get a lot of attention. Find a good attorney that deals with transportation issues & give him $100 to just send him a letter or a phone call & see where it goes. When most small timers get an official letter from an attorney, they usually start finding a resolution pretty quick.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I dunno what you do now but in the future from the first little sign of incompetence you should tell them no deal and just wash your hands of it. You would've been money and aggravation ahead by sitting at home and booking nothing that particular day if that's what was available, and that's not a dig at the rate. I mean from the first few sentences of your post I knew it was a wild goose chase and you can just tell by the way some of these brokers conduct their business that's what's in the future if you take a chance on them.

And, never move your truck with an unknown broker like that without a rate con (a correct one). I dont even like doing it with the ones I know.

And that company name? Hola? That's Spanish for something right? Usually I just dismiss out of hand any broker with a goofy company name. Did they have a 7 digit MC? Usually the weird named ones do. I only book brokers with 6 digit MC's and most of them have been in business a long time.

SL3406, Mattflat362, Avrakotos and 8 others Thank this.
  11. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    I would had picked load up and scratched name and put my name on Rate. Some are scared to do that and others are not. I would not deliver without it being fixed. Honestly I would just of took the 75 and moved on. Not even worth fighting over to be honest.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.