Stupid incompetant people

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by Pyro, May 16, 2007.

1. Sideswipe

Sideswipe Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    If this "other" driver were worth a ####, he would have offered his help when he saw it. Some people are just backstabbers. It says alot more about his worthless life than it does about your chaining. Chances are, this driver is scared to death of coils, and Arrow trains a driver to use five chains - seven if it makes you feel better.:biggrin_25513:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sideswipe

Sideswipe Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    You can't put more than seven chains on a coil. If you did put 8 and 9 on it , the holding power of those last two chains would be nill - because they would just slip down the coil and risk the viability of the rest.

Chain one before you train one!:biggrin_2553:

4. Sideswipe

Sideswipe Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Now, with a record like that, I have to wonder why Arrow doesn't have him in heavy haul. Either his record has been padded by his wife - or he doesn't really want to run heavy haul. Just trying to understand your comment.:biggrin_25525:

5. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

WHAT weight makes a "super coil"?????????????????????

45,000 in one coil?????????????????????

I'm not the one that made the laws for chaining the weight. The DOT did, tell them your theories and see if you can get the laws changed.

6. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    By law you only have to have enough chains to secure half of the weight of your load.(This is per the DOT and the FMCSR's 393.106(D) If your load weighed 45,000lbs, half that is 22,500lbs. We use G-70 5/16th" chain. This chain is rated at 4,700lbs. My math shows this requires 4.7872 chains or 5 by rounding. Me personally, I would have likely considered a 3rd to the rear for a suicide coil. I'm not too fond of rolling steel coming at me. But as for legality and co. policy 5 chains was plenty for each. Screw the rats, the world is full of them. I know what is safe, I have a DOT FMCSR beside me with the interpretations and a Cargo Securement book from JJ Keller plus a securement calculator. If I don't have enough securement to satisfy the law, we have a problem.

BTW, I am in 4376 for the record(a Current Arrow Driver)

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I stand corrected in my assumptions of chaining.

How ever since I was over securing no wonder I never had any cargo EVER fall off my trailer.

8. thummper

thummper Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    orange county, ca
    even in ready mix I learned to talk with my company brethren about anything that would effect them, like, when working in a line to never pass the guy ahead of you, or letem know youre gonna burn 6 minutes getting a water or coffee. what goes around comes around. no honking, either, unless you like fist fights.

9. n4mgr

n4mgr Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Silver City, NM
    You know, I've never lost a single piece of freight(fingers crossed), but I do within reason, use more than the minimum requirements. I hauled a load of "strip and strap" pipe from Tulsa to Ft. Worth yesterday and used 11 straps. The straps are rated at 5400lbs and I could have likely gotten away with half that number. I hate pipe so I tie it down a little more than most.

10. kaydriver1

kaydriver1 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2007
    monett,missouri

Absolutely. I drive a mixer truck and we always go through everything with the new guys. And when they are doing something questionable or unsafe were always quick to correct them and show them the right way and the safe way to do it, and thats the way it should be. If it wasn't safe, he should have shown him the proper way to chain the coil, instead of telling on him and going on his merry way.

11. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

You say it is not Arrows fault, but wait, then you say it IS their fault for hiring numptys or newbies? Which is it?

Arrow is one of the bottom feeders in the flatbed industry so how would they go about getting talented skateboarders to come work for them? They would have to change their whole mission statement to do that.

A training class is only as good as the product it produces and with Arrows safety record it seems you and Arrow like to produce what is called a Oxymoron. :biggrin_255:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.