Submitting dash cam videos to police department?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltcowboy4x4, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I thought it was for them to create a hole in traffic behind them when were splitting lanes, they make really good front doors on my way to work heading into Los Angeles.

I thought the thin blue line was where we ride our bikes in traffic, guess I learnt sonethin today

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I was a police supervisor for 20 years. I approved thousands of reports during that time and several hundred use of force reports. I can only say that one of those was very questionable. The officer that handled it cost our municipality a couple of hundred thousand dollars
    in a civil suit but was cleared of any wrong doing. To me he went overboard but it wasn't my decision..it was left up to a grand jury.
    I can only attest to my experience.That case you are referring to about the man who was shot in the back..that officer needs to be put under the jail. I hate that happened to your cousin, hate to hear those stories. The police pursuit debate continues. I personally hated them but at times they are necessary..depends on the situation. Plenty of officers are also run over truck by drivers..accidents and carelessness are rampant out here. Remember, police are not perfect either.
    I have noticed in recent years officers tend to resort to less lethal options like taser etc. instead of using de escalation techniques and are sometimes hesitant to go hands on with suspects. When I started all we had was mace which we hardly ever used back them, we frequently had to go hands on if negotiations didnt work.
    I have had a few good officers who were my friends killed in the line of duty over the years. You dont hear much about those officers out there at 3 in the morning dealing with an armed man in his living room who just beat up his wife ( and it ends peacefully). This goes on day in and day out but you dont hear about that hardly ever do you? 50 something people shot in Chicago on Memorial Day weekend , 8 killed, this is routine and it's just a blip in the news. Must be the police's fault huh? When you interview these folks "I aint seen nuthin" and wonder why these crimes dont get solved. Did you ever think about being a police officer in your life..if you did why didnt you do it?

TROOPER to TRUCKER and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A good friend of my family was a Georgia Public Service Commission Officer and retired soon after the State merged them into the Dept of Public Safety. I am 61 now. Right after I was discharged from the Air Force in 1980 I was encouraged to take the Merit test and apply. I went to Atlanta and took the test and about 2 months later was asked to come interview. After seeing the pay scales and giving it thought I decided against doing it. I would not work and do what Cops generally do in this country for the pittance they are paid. I would never do general enforcement. If the pay had been better I might very well have had a career in the Georgia DOT.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    For the most part I have been doing what the officers have claimed, a couple of ticket have been debatable, had a CHP write me for no license in possession, so I showed my license to the dash cam and took the footage to court showing that I clearly had given it to the officer, but I got a ticket because I refused to allow him to enter my vehicle from the passenger side to go snooping, since he had no reason for the stop to start with, and the judge back me up, stating they do not have the right to pick you out for a search without probable cause, If there was no reason for the stop then there is certainly no probable cause. Judges advise keep your door locked and video everything....

So there's good and bad, 1 out of thousand, I call BS on that. Cops protect cops and you certainly can not take the word of a cop trolling around in a truckers forum, Like it is acceptable for a cop to out right lie to you to get you to say or agree with what ever they want. Just remember they want to either take your money or arrest you, thats there goal is look for people to arrest. One of the reasons they like to demand ID at the times they have no right to it. Had one demand ID from me when my son was driving and I was in the sleeper, I told then no, and stayed in the sleeper.

6. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Not trolling around for you info..I am a trucker now..done with this thread

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I suspect this thread is either bound for a padlock or may be moved to the politics forum. Cop groups are no different than any other group when it comes to bad seeds. What sets Cops and for that matter prosecutors apart is they can weaponize their positions and can cause serious harm. So while I am sensitive to how you feel @smokey12 you need to understand this animus toward Cops some have is well earned by Cops. Then when you try to get a Cop reported you can sometimes see the eyes of their superiours glaze over while you report them. No, I don't think you are trolling, but you should understand this is a truck driver based forum and Cops (and their defenders) are not all that much respected by (some of) the members here.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Aware that it's a truckers forum..we all know the history of truckers and the police. We cant get too serious here.I see both sides because I have done both. Truckers have my respect as do police, no harm intended.

25(2)+2 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. no it won't do any good..
    unless it's a real serious infraction like seeing somebody drunk or lighting up a joint..
    or something endangering the lives of others or yourself.
    if it's become unfortunately par for the course they're not going to go run them down.
    just like if something you don't think is right you call a u.s. marshal they don't just drop everything and come running to a trucker it doesn't work that way unfortunately contrary to disbelief when many people say call the Marshall. they will come right out. no, they won't. they have real stuff to take care of.. They may document report they may come to investigate it if it's deemed worthwhile. but for trucker whining and crying cuz everything is unfair to them very seldom do they come immediately out..Some have even have tried that and it blew up in their face at a scale house when they didn't show up..
    you could send the vids but they probably just laugh at it.. especially depending on the state that was involved in.
    that's where the fun of having a YouTube channel comes in the play you can stick it up there for the whole world to see like many other drivers do
    just being honest

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    US Marshals DO NOT babysit truckers! They DO NOT do ANY investigations. They DO handle the security of the US Court Houses, serve warrants and do arrests. They DO move US Prisoners (and as a courtesy from time to time will move a state prisoner) and they are responsible for the pre-trial custody and care of incarcerated defendants. THEY DO NOT ( I REPEAT) THEY DO NOT handle grievances from truckers.

People that think this way have watched way too much Gunsmoke and expect Marshal Dillion to come running when you send an SOS. Sorry, it does not work that way in real life.

The ONLY way a US Marshal will ever be found in a scale house will be under the direct order of a US District Court Judge, and all I can say on that is woe to the State officer that just took a whizz in that Judge's morning coffee!

11. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    If you really want the police to get involved, simply do this. Tell them the back seat of the vehicle is full of bales of marijuana. You can see them in plain sight. The thought of possible revenue confiscation gives them a chubby. They'll be right out.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.