suburban cab driver fired today and homeless today (want to get into trucking)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ElricOfMelnibone, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2013
    because with a taxi i have a place to live. If I work at McDonald's I have to sleep on a park bench.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ElricOfMelnibone

ElricOfMelnibone Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for the info. I will look into those companies. Prime takes issue with fat guys, so I will probably skip them.

4. reefer75

reefer75 Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    midwest
    Good point sorry didn't read that part best of luck

5. reefer75

reefer75 Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    midwest
    On another note off subject kind of don't worry about your weight I ain't no skinny guy but get the job done.
    Another starter company to look into is grey transportation out of Waterloo ia they hire anybody atleast they used to

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I don't know what's with everyone tonight but it seems ... well that some truths are in the thread somewhere.

To the OP,

this isn't a fix all for your problems, you have seen what it is like out here in the real world, a lot of people will be sympathic while others are tired of hearing the sob stories and the lack of self-control and used of their brains to even survive. I won't say which way I lean because I think that you will find yourself in the same situation - working 14 hours and making little to show for it. This is not a slam on you but on the companies you may end up with, because it isn't easy to be tough and know what to say or do when it comes to your job/profession. I mean it literally I read many many complaints about how people are treated and how they are taken advantage of but a lot of them are for the most part considered vets of the industry, so being a newbie, I would hold off on thinking you will do better than a local job and a place to live other than a truck.

Two other things that come to mind, you will need money to live on, do not count on the idea that they will pay you while your training, there are some catches to it and be prepared if you wash out of training, you will need money to go home.

The other thing that you need to know is that our physicals are all the same, no one company does anything easy or light, especially with some of the companies who lend you the money to train - that's right it is a loan. SO if you are heavy, like me, your BMI is up there, than you will more likely than not be asked for a sleep study and you will end up with a cpap machine, which comes with a doctor's treatment plan that you may need. So this can be a show stopper with your situation.

Oh and I would think about this too, by the time you finish reading this thread and formulate a plan of sorts, it may be 10 or even 30 days before you start training and a limited driving record may end up being rejected just because there is no real experience driving at all. Oh too, they will take in account your homelessness and the reason why you were fired.

I wish you luck.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    I started driving for the same reasons. 17 years later I'm still going at it. I guess people aren't allowed to better themselves, according to you. Lets face it. We all drive for this reason. If you didn't make what you make, you wouldn't drive. None of us would. Money talks and BS walks.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  8. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Your Mailbox
    Thank you. Not everyone was blessed with parents who have deep pockets. These people have to work, or they die.

NavigatorWife and dog-c Thank this.
  9. numbers

numbers Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    King Of Prussia, PA
    Instead of posting on here, apply to every company you can find on the internet.....

Call Stevens, they helped me out of a similar jam, it it was a relatively quick process.

10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    Can we help this guy out? Instead of going off point, lets help this future driver out ok? Marker int. got it? Who cares I'd he lived in a cab ! Really.....

To the op elricofmelbourne this is what I recommend you do, make absolutely sure you can pass a physical. Check your blood pressure and that its within the acceptable range. Check your bmi also.
    Can you pass the whisper test? How is your hearing? If not buy a cheap hearing aid on amazon ($20 bucks). You will FAIL if you fail the whisper test. Make sure you're able to pass a drug test and depending on the company they may do a follicle test.

Primate message me ill do my best to help you.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    This homeless person was earning a paycheck and contributing to society by paying his taxes like every other productive hardworking employee is doing. At least this homeless person was not on public assistance and is trying to improve his lot in life. What more can one ask of anyone?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

NavigatorWife and toostroked Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.