SUE COMPANIES POSTING FALSE INFORMATION ON HireRight / DAC

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by geargrinder, Aug 24, 2012.

1. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    I always thought the complaints about HireRight and trucking companies posting false information was hard to believe. I presumed that the fear of litigation by former employers would keep trucking companies honest. Boy was I wrong. Trucking companies aren't normal businesses - apparently the arrogance they feel towards drivers also gives them a false sense of legal impunity.

What prompted my turnaround? During May I applied at a trucking company. They called me and we talked about the job. I asked about the benefits. They were kind of sketchy discussing them and said they would give me a pamphlet when I came for a drug test. I was surprised that they were willing to use my existing Medical Card instead of having me take a physical, but I'm all for saving a buck. Plus, the job was attractive because it was close to home and had excellent home time. Additionally, all the steel haulers around here have very similar benefits. Affordable and good health insurance being one of their benefits.

In a driving rainstorm I drove over to their office to take a pee. The person who administers the test was off. An office fellow wearing a suit and tie handled the test. He asked me why I was quitting so and so company to come to work at "this place." I told him the job was not what I expected, so I am looking around for something else. I filled the cup and gave it to him. I asked about the benefits pamphlet. He handed it to me and kind of indicated they aren't very good. I looked at the pamphlet and was stunned to see that the employees cost were outrageous and the deductibles were even worse. I thought to myself - won't be working here!

A few days later I was off to Canada. In Canada I turn my phone off to avoid crazy international roaming charges. I was running in and out of Canada for 10-days and frankly hadn't given the steel hauling company a second thought. The gal at the steel hauler had left a message, it was kind of old. I thought, well a normal person would realize that if someone doesn't return their call in a week that they probably aren't interested in what they have to say. I never returned the phone call and never gave it another thought - UNTIL YESTERDAY!

It seems the steel hauler reported my drug test to HireRight, no problem and perfectly legal.

However, they also commented in Previous Employers, insinuating that I was a former employee. In the previous employer they stated I never showed up. The wording would leave one to believe that I was actually a driver and that I never showed up. Didn't show up where? Didn't show up with what? It is way to easy for a hiring person to think - this guy abandoned the load.

This situation convinces me that trucking companies have absolutely no qualms about providing HireRight with false, misleading, and malicious information. Seriously, if companies will provide false information about Job Applicants, then look out actual employees.

I have contacted HireRight about the false information. I also contacted the trucking company explaining they have made a mistake in reporting to HireRight that I was a former employee.

The company I have applied to realizes that it is impossible for me to "not show up" at the steel hauler. Why? Because I was working at another company!

The following link is a pocket guide to Employee Rights with respect to past employers. Hopefully, it is useful to other drivers.

http://undercoverlawyer.hubpages.co...-My-Former-Employer-For-Giving-Bad-References

It is disappointing to say, but we should all review our HireRight report every time we apply for a job.

Good luck, and sorry for being so long winded!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    CAXPT and pattyj Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flc120

flc120 Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Miami,FL (yeah i know :( )
    someone really needs to do these people in, to bad there arent any million dollar truckers to actually take these guys to court and put the out of buisness. how come they cant be closed down. you would think with enough complaints and BBB bad reports a company should be subject to a suspension or probation period and all the get to do is pay out on settlements and this makes it right????

4. Keyster

Keyster Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Instead of thinking it to yourself you should have told them, preferably in writing, that you were not interested, rather than leaving them hanging. Look at their side of it.

5. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    Think if he had taken the job and they decided they didn't like how he drove (or whatever) , that they would have told him, in writing, that he was terminated as to not leave him hanging????:biggrin_25512:

cjb logistics and MNdriver Thank this.
  6. Keyster

Keyster Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Yeah, but that's not what happened.

7. Guitar Man

Guitar Man Medium Load Member

Sep 29, 2006
    State Of Confusion
    But it does each and every da,with alarming regularityy.All I'm saying is these companies WILL pizz on you every chance they get. You'll find that out when you get into the mix my friend, trust me. ;-)

8. none

none Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Indianpolis, IN
    Good job.
    You should also document it in records. Not sure which ones though. Only "one in the hundreds?" would even take as much action as you have.
    Also think about how you will help out other truckers by documenting this.

"A man is know by his actions, not his words". The alien form the Arnod Swharsaniker? movie Total Recall.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Well,

you didn't show up.

And you weren't obligated to show up.

They'll remove it, no big deal,

YET !!

10. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    The US Government....The department of Justice has filed a lawsuit against Hireright for all the false and misleading stuff that is posted there.

If you have a complaint file it with Hireright and the DOJ.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  11. Gulf Coast Trucker

Gulf Coast Trucker Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    If you go to thetruckersreport home page there is a write up on this very issue. It also mentions they just had to pay a $2.6 million settlement for reporting inaccuracies without investigating.
    Its rediculous what some of these trucking companies can get away with and have no consequincies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.