Suggestions on finding steady local work?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dlstruck, May 31, 2017.

1. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I have an owner operator lease to me that doesn't really want to go OTR anymore. Great driver, good equipment, just in his 50s and wants to be home weekly. I've been keeping him busy locally (WA, OR, ID) and he loves it but It's a lot more work for me. Instead of 2-4 loads a week, I now have to find and dispatch 6-12 a week.

I remember talking to a new O/O recently and I asked him if he uses the load boards. He said no, he's just driving for a single broker locally. He doesn't search for loads or anything, just gets dispatched directly from the broker. Usually 50-150 mile trips, $350-$500 each way. I told him he can make much more if he looks at the boards and searches for loads himself. He said he was happy with his current situation and they were keeping him busy 5 days a week. Is this typical? Do brokers have enough steady freight to keep a truck busy all week? If so, how would I ask about that or bring it up? Just post on the load boards or call them up?

Something like that would be perfect for my driver. He would make a little less but I can bump his pay up to 92% or so since it wouldn't be taking up as much of my time. Any suggestions on how to find some steady local freight? He's flatbed BTW

crb, QuietStorm and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I have no clue, but just want to commend you for caring about your driver. Many don't, anymore these days. Best wishes; hope you find results you desire for you both.

VIDEODROME, crb and QuietStorm Thank this.
  4. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Thanks. My dad is also one of my drivers so I think that helps me treat them well. He's the reason I got into trucking and got my own authority, I wanted to help him out and make sure he's not taken advantage of or treated like ####. This local driver is one of his friends. He's been great and made me a lot of money so the way I see it is why try to force him to do something he doesn't want to? I'd rather have him keep driving locally then have him leave somewhere else and lose a great, dependable driver.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    More guys your age should have that mindset. Kudos~!

ps: Since he's mostly wanting to do flatbed, you may have luck asking in the flatbed forum; those guys are a pretty tight brotherhood, and you might have some luck there. :)

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    If he's willing to give up flatbed, see if he can Contract his services with USPS.

A lot of the O/O's contract their services to a Mail Contract Carrier, and from what I'm seeing, they're doing pretty #### good. They're home every night. Pickup at the same time everyday with the same dedicated run. And you get paid the same no matter if it's one piece of mail or a whole Truckload. I don't specifically know what they're making, but you don't have to worry about slow periods because the Mail never stops. And they're trucks are all BLINGED out with chicken lights and chrome and tanks polished and everything looking spotless and brand new. So they must be making pretty good money.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    I've always been a believer in picking up loads and putting them on the ground. If you can deliver 1/2 loads a day you will make more in my opinion. Less miles equals less fuel. Home every nigh means no idling and less wear and tear. How to find it? Just get out and look around and talk to others. See what others are doing.

8. dlstruck

Sep 8, 2016
    Well that was easier than I thought. I ended up emailing about 10 brokers that I've gotten local loads from in the past. Found one that has Portland to Seattle loads daily for $500-600 and another that has daily Seattle to Portland loads for $500. No tarps on either. Shippers are open until 6pm so he should be able to get 4 round trips in per week. We're going to try a few next week to see how they're working out for us.

Lite bug and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    I don't know anything about the NW.So I can only give general ideas.Brick yards,lumber yards,concrete plants that make blocks,mulch plants they deliver a lot to local home centers.Plant or tree nurseries.These places are usually a lot easier for you to get in with direct and will usually pay enough to deliver and return empty.Your doing the right thing Just keep asking and looking .

Lite bug and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.