suing a broker

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by dannythetrucker, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    going to their state is no problem, I don't really even care about getting the money at this point. Although I believe this particular broker would pay a judgement against them. I just want to mess with them as they have unabashedly messed with me. Maybe they'll think twice before trying this tactic again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    And just what are you going to sue a broker for aside from non payment on a load? You have no reason to sue a broker other than payment issues damage during loading, etc goes on the shipper/receiver not the broker. once again detention deals with payment collect from who paid the freight...slander...well maybe I could see that but good luck and that isn't a small claims suit if they're costing you loads. Maybe you should be clear on what you plan on suing for as 99% of the time when you sue a broker it's over non payment.

4. texasmorrell

texasmorrell Medium Load Member

May 3, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Yes you have to sue in their state if that is what the contract says. And yes you sue in small claims or justice court. I prefer justice court because it is the formal version of small claims court and all the rules of procedure apply. That means they will need to hire a lawyer but I can represent myself. To date I have sued 24 brokers, collected every penny and I have yet to see the inside of a court room. They always settle out of court. Dont forget about their bond too. That is what it is their for. You must also add their bond holder as a defendant and sue their bond at the same time. Let me be clear. About half the settlements were from brokers and the other half from the bond holders. If you screw up and haul a load for a truly sleazy broker with an exhausted bond and no assets then you are out of luck.

5. Grumman

Grumman Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Locust Grove, GA
    If the consignor executed section 7 of the CBOL then you can't go to them for payment. There have been civil cases in the past that trucking companies have sued shippers for payment but they usually only go to court if the amounts are large enough to justify the legal expense.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  6. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Have you thought about driving to the broker's place of business? Maybe it's a house. Block their driveway. lol

7. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Just curious if you have decided to pursue this or not.

8. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I meant to call the guy and make him one last offer to settle, according to the contract they have 30 days even though the ratesheet said they'd pay within 5. It also says I'm supposed to take up matters in CA, I was thinking it was MN. I'm a little less sue happy if I have to go to CA to do it. My trailer isn't legal there so I can't just book a load or something.

9. cetanediesel

cetanediesel Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Albany, NY
    So did they ever pay you the rest of that load that you were supposed to haul by itself?

10. producelove85

producelove85 Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Lehighton, PA
    Be careful, in the State of Pa there is a provision in the law called the Dragonetti Act for falsying a lawsuit or intent to harass another

11. Horse Whisperer

Horse Whisperer Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    If you decide to sue, try these folks: http://www.civiltree.com/small_claimez/smallclaims_pricing.php

I've used the site before... I always sue the shipper and let THEM moan about it to the broker... 100% success with this tactic (so far).

Travelinman and cetanediesel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.