Summer time and insects through the windows

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Harry Flashman, Jun 16, 2022.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    What you say about the vent windows is true. They are rarely open. The foot vents on those old cabs move a lot of breeze when kicked open.
    Pete changed the mirror brackets on the ‘67 and ‘68’s. The brace position will only let the driver vent window open a few inches. Just enough to drop a cigarette butt out. Lol!

Numb and Last Call Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I can't kick the foot vents open on my 359 cause the air breather are in the way and I hardly ever open the wing vents cause there's not many days when the humidity is low enough to actually enjoy the fresh air .. if so I just drop the windows down a couple inches

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  4. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    your climate controls have a recycle/max air and a fresh air position.

so shouldn't be "stuffy".

I loved those old foot vents!.

had them in a lot of my old 60's and 70's cars. they pushed big air volumes thru the car.

tscottme, SmallPackage and Last Call Thank this.
  5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a bee.

6. prostartom

prostartom Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2014
    During the big cicada year around the mid 2000’s I was driving an old Ford cab over box truck, it had A/C but it didn’t really do much.
    Rolling around the Baltimore beltway at 65mph and eating my lunch I had a cicada smack my mirror and splatter all over my face and sandwich I was holding.
    I just picked the bigger pieces out of my sandwich and continued on, luckily Cicadas don’t stick around long.

Milr72 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Lol. It's like when you drop a sandwich on the floor. You put your hands on your hips, sigh, shake your head, then pick it up and eat it.

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It ain't 1890, roll those windows up. It increases your fuel economy and preserves your hearing to keep your windows up, BTW.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Last Call Thanks this.
  9. tscottme

... and bug guts on your face. Put me down as a steering wheel holder, too. The A/C in my truck is on 9-10 months of the year.

Last Call, ncmickey and Val_Caldera Thank this.
  10. tscottme

When you see a car and the roof liner is sagging, it's because they drove around with no A/C and their windows downs for years. MPG drops with windows open. Aerodynamic drag is a silver bullet in the heart of MPG.

ncmickey Thanks this.
  11. tscottme

90% of people make the mistake of driving around with "Recirc" turned on all the time. They equate A/C with "stuffy" because they are inhaling and exhaling into a plastic bag when you leave the A/C in "recirc". They turn on "Recirc" once in the summer to help speed up the cool down when they get into a hot truck and then leave it on until the truck is sold. "Recirc" is for short-term use.

Geekonthestreet, ncmickey and Numb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.