Super singles (yes or no)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RKH, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Don't buy tires without research ;)

You could take off worn duels and replace with something worse.

As for drive tires, the line energy d is 109 RR and the XONE line energy d is 94. Thats a 16 point difference which amouts to around 1600 a year if you drive 120,000 miles.

Now the XONE XDN2 that everyone loves is 119..which is why IMO its a horrible tire. So yea there are bad singles, but there are bad duels to. Compare apples to apples. Not to mention, even if rr is the same, you get weight savings with singles.

Dice1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I ordered my glider with XOne XDN2 rubber. Thought about trying out the Xone Energy version next go around. I got wheels with no offset and run th balancing beads in the tires. I try to rotate them about every 60,000 miles.

4. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    The xdn2's will last longer, but they are a full 26 rr higher then the xone line energy d. The XOLED is made of a harder rubber then it's predecessor (the Xone XDA) and they say last 30% longer. I will have to see. The XDN2 is a better tire if you go off the pavement a lot, or in winter, but IMO its not worth the 26 rr points. My XOLED seem to be on track for 300k ish, but not much more.

5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    I run european single tires on trailer... last week lost one.... driver "found" steel bar in yard... bad news - conventional tire is much cheaper

the most expencive are off road single tires, but they are very good in snow

6. panhead

panhead Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Bethlehem, PA
    I much rather use doubles than singles. I'll be able to limp the truck to the nearest shop and get a replacement. Can't do that with a SS. Waiting for road side would cost time.

7. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I realize that that is the prevailing argument against SS, but if you blew a steer, you would be in the same boat. Gonna run duals on your steer axle as well so you can limp to a shop? Just kidding.

Look, the odds of blowing out a tire, dual or single, is slim if you buy quality tires, run the proper inflation in them, do not abuse them, and keep an eye out for a problem before it becomes something major. Those of us that are real serious about our tires, checking pressures daily, and giving them a real good look over a couple of times a day, hardly ever have a blowout. I have had a blow out on a trailer owned by someone else, but I have never had a blow out on a drive tire in over 30 years, including 10 years driving in Alaska. I have had flats and slow leaks, even picked up a 5/8 bolt in one of my wide based a little over a year ago.

True, the XDN2 wide based on mine have a higher RR than the Energy line, but they are still lower than many standard drive tires, including some that are labeled as certified smart way tires. it was the tires that I got when I ordered the truck. I am most likely going to go with the lower RR Energy wide based next go around. Some, including me at first, think that going with the Energy line, I might give up some traction. Not too worried about that with my truck. I have full lockers in both drive axles. 3 switches and every drive tire is working.

I have gotten enough time with the wide based, two winters in the upper tier of the country, a lot of two lane running gross loads, and several miles of gravel roads every week, loaded. I have developed a strong confidence in the wide based tires I am using, and I have rarely ever gotten the slow wear out of any other tire that I have gotten with these. May be just dumb luck, but it is what it is.

panhead Thanks this.
  8. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Yeah I've noticed that argument too about the blowouts. Guys running duals normally don't check the pressure in all 18 everyday which results in blowouts which is where that argument comes from. Or they over load the tires because "they've never had a problem" doing it. A hammer is not a true gauge and anyone that says they can tell the difference between 100 and 115 psi is a liar.

Cowpie1 Thanks this.
  9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    That is one of the things I have really come to like about running wide based singles. It is soooo easy to do a quick tire pressure check in the morning with a good gauge before starting the day. I also use those pass thru valve stem caps on them and I can have all tires pressure checked, all the way around the truck, in a couple of minutes, at the most. All part of a morning walk around and pre-trip. You know, that thing that a driver should do daily, right? :)

I fluctuate the tire pressures frequently when the seasons change. I carry a glad hand air hose, for when it is needed, and it is real simple and quick to have all tires at equal pressures and ready to go. And, many run pressures they are used to with duals. Not the best idea. I run the pressures from the tire manufacturer load chart, which tend to be a little lower PSI than regular drive tire pressure chart recommendations. Generally, I run about 95 PSI in mine per the load chart guide, which covers things fine up to 34,000 lb load on a tandem axle set. I get nice even wear, tires never get real hot, and the ride is great. And only losing about 8/32's to 9/32's of tire tread wear in 271,000 miles is not bad at all.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  10. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    what? 385 is cheapest tire when comparing size to price

11. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Depends on what country your in

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.