Super singles (yes or no)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RKH, Mar 9, 2014.

1. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    385/65r22.5 is most common tire used in europe on trailers (and that is why cheapest- any other tire size cost much more) , good brand tire cost about 600€ , cheapest twin tire would be 11r22.5 each cost about 400€ , since this size is uncommon in europe , you would go for 275/70r22.5 they are about 450€ each

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    i know for that case too,

people from my place in bosnia were doing this, i hardly remember this , it was 20+ years ago , they would remove all fenders steps and things and put twin tires , truck were working in sandpit and in peat fields

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    i tried to use steer tires 315/80R22.5 on EU trailer.... I got worn tires becouse of bad king pins and as the last use I fit them on trailer

5. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    when they first release trailers with 3axles, it was common to use same tires as on trucks , also in swiss they were using this until mid 90s , i dont like how it looks

6. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    SS are the best way to go for tandems. (Period)
    They are lighter, provide less RR, less rotating mass improving not only acceleration with ease but also "better braking" and handling given the contact patch on the road.
    SS = 2 walls
    Duals = 4 walls
    Stress on contraction (acceleration) and shrinking (braking) of the walls do alter handling if you think a bit harder; from 8 walls (SS) to 16 walls on duals.
    All truck tires are made to run at highway speeds not to exceed 80 mph. That does not mean X tire performs excellent at 75mph, us/as professionals should use common sense and not only care for our revenue but ours and public's safety. A blow out can have disastrous results no matter what the tire is. (I've had blown rgn's tires my former employer used to put on since they were dirt cheap
    - boy every blow out of those tiny low profile tires would bite a chunk out of the trailer.
    Where the advantage of duals comes is they have bigger toe, +1 point over SS for off roading, but dont try to beat me out of the sand on those, my SS will leave your duals panting.
    Duals having bigger toe gives them the -1 to contact patch, comparing and adding 2 duals contact patch to a SS will show how much more the SS comes in contact with the road.
    Another advantage of duals at best is the bigger size on 24.5R
    - this gives them not a wider but longer ground touch which differs to SS.
    What's the advantage to that? I dunno, but we all know 24s are just for looks.. or are they?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  7. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    i love it when a tread contains two very different view points and both sides arguments seem valid to me. I have a PhD. in physics and understand everything being said but since none of the research is something I personally did, it comes down to who you believe or who does the best job of selling you something. Which is why, when I went out and ordered my first truck, a 2015 Volvo 780, I made sure to get the blue one.

mattbnr Thanks this.
  8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    100% incorrect. SS are way lighter. Ask anyone. The best Singles have better RR then the best duels. Yes a good duel beats a bad SS, but apples to apples single RR s better. Where do you get any of your information?

Duals do have some advantage, but its not lower rr or lighter.

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    We wont run them on the tractor but we run ss on our grain hoppers. They are 400 pounds lighter then the duals we replaced.

SS do not work on the tractor trying to come out of fields that are soft or muddy. I'm not against ss but I can positively say they do not work on the tractor in those conditions.

10. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    Lol.. sorry I meant to put SS.

11. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    as I can see all new trucks got SS and now twin tires are option.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.