Super singles (yes or no)

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RKH, Mar 9, 2014.

1. nofilter

nofilter Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    WA
    Thanks a bunch for all your opinions.
    It is all very useful information and some of you are very funny, makes for interesting readings.
    However it seems 1/2 and 1/2 For and Against.
    I still don't know which ones are better or are they equal in benefits...?

I was most worried about: slippeage, price and blow outs (not being able to limp off the HWY)
    You all addressed all these points and from what I gather in general:
    price: better
    slipping on ice or water is: opinions divided
    blow outs: opinions mostly you are stuck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Once you have the intial cost of rims yes, but dont forget the fuel savings from better mpg. You save enough in fuel to buy a new set of runner every year compared to duals

Yea, your gonna have varried opinions here. The guy that gets stuck with singles blames the singles even though he may have been stuck the same way with duels.

You CAN limp. Just not as easy as with duels. If you have the right suspension or limiting straps, you can roll on 3 wheels and the straps will keep the rim from hitting the ground. I ran on 3 wheels on a trailer for over a hundred miles before I realized it was blown. The rim never hit the ground and the other 3 supported just fine.

nofilter Thanks this.
  4. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Richter. If you didn't know it was blown, how do you know you ran for over a hundred miles with it blown?

To the thread:

I think it is fair to say that singles look cool although probably the last of all considerations. Cool looking rubber (provided they meet other requirements) would seem just as valid as the guys still running hoods, chicken lights, and tons of chrome because of looks.

mattbnr Thanks this.
  5. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    A guy beeped and flashed his lights at me as i passed him. I thought he was pissed i passed him. I tied to reach him on cb but he didn't have one. I drove the rest of the trip in the right lane so no one saw my failing right tire on the trailer. I suspect he was tring to tell me i had a flat. I noticed when i got to the company terminal. Rim undamaged. Tire, gone. It didn't shake, vibrate or have any noticeable effects on 3 tires. Rim never hit the ground.

bergy Thanks this.
  6. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Ahh. that makes sense.

So pardon my ignorance, what kept the rim from hitting the ground?

7. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Suspension was limited. I didnt see limiting straps, but the suspension simply didn't travel far enough to hit. When i stoped the rim was about 3 inches off the ground. It did back a little odd into the shop, but driving forward, there was no indication it had blown.

bergy Thanks this.
  8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, checked my wide based tread the other day when I rotated them. 270,000 on the original set that got put on at the factory. 17/32's tread left across all the tread on all the tires (give or take a 32nd) with no uneven wear. Pretty sure that they are doing the job nicely and holding up fine.

mattbnr Thanks this.
  9. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    impressive !!!!! Congrats. More then half the tread left at 270K....you will never need new tires. what is your secret?

10. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    i forgot, do you run xdn2's or xda's?

11. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Painting with a wide brush . There are duels that , all but match the rolling resistance numbers. That said if you do not do research , you can pull off duels and replace them with super singles and cost your self fuel !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.