Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msjs91011

msjs91011 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Using trails ive gotten low memory messages once after 12hr of gps navigation then again two hours after I started trails again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Try leaving off for 12 hours, charge for 3, press reset/On button at the same time for 10 seconds.

How long out of warranty?

Thanks,
    mark

4. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You ran trails for 12 hours? Look at RM/User/Trail.db and see how big that file is.

Let me know the start/stop locations for the 12 hour run.

Thanks,
    Mark

5. msjs91011

msjs91011 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2014
    It shouldnt have grown by but 1mb max. I cant get exact details til I shut down at 4am edt. Ill run another trail now, im in tennessee headed to nc

Low mem message I am 95% certain is talking about RAM. It says if I dont reboot that it might stop responding. Ill try to get a screenshot

6. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Just a question..why would you possibly need to run trails for 12 hours straight?

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Trails was introduced more or less for the RV for things like parking your RV at a camp and taking your car out for dinner or such. Then using trails to find you way back in the campsite to your RV. It was then carried over to the TND for places that are off road like Oil fields or construction. Running trails from point a to point b on the freeways does take up memory and not just in storage. Too many trails will take up needed storage memory.

I would suggest using trails for when you need it and not for general purpose of your daily route.

Thanks,
    Mark

mattbnr and Dieselboss Thank this.
  8. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Trying to connect my 520 to the Dock. The 520 screen says Connected but the Dock and computer says not. I tried to install Dock on another computer and while installing it says to connect the device and I do but the computer is not recognizing it. What can I do here? Computer keeps telling me that the disk drive needs to be formated to use. The 520 dosen't come up in explorer either. The unit works fine just can't hook up to dock.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Ignore the Win msg about formatting the TND.

Are you using the supplied USB cable from RM?

Has it connected before?

Have you tried leaving the TND on and connected, then rebooting the computer.

Are you connected to a USB 2.0 port? A USB 3.0 port would have a blue tab.

Thanks,
    mark

10. skulldrinker

Apr 20, 2012

I had the original cable out in the truck. I was using a generic cable at home during this. USB 2.0 ( I also have 3.0 access ) Yes I had it connected before initially when I installed Dock. I guess I used the original cable the first time. So just now I went out and got the original cable to try and BINGO it fired up instantly. Everything is good and updated. I don't see the reason for the cables but I will make sure I mark the original and never let it out of my site. What are the requirements for a replacement cable? Is it a special cable available from RM only?

Thanks Mark.

11. skulldrinker

Apr 20, 2012
    I accidentally uploaded a Red Light Camera file into the general POI and not the Alert POI. What effect will it have? Will it still work as it should or how do I start over?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.