Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Buffalo, NY to Little Rock, AR. Search for points of interest (all truckstops) along your route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What model TND are you using? I tried on a 530 and the search came back pretty fast - within a sec or two.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. mc2

mc2 Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2007
    I just tried it on my tablet and it took 7 seconds to find 50 truck stops, searching up to 705 miles into the route.
    Finding 50 Truck Services took 5 seconds.
    Finding 41 Rest Areas searching 1086 miles took 9 seconds.

5. BKayrac

BKayrac Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Make sure you are also waiting until it's route calculation is finished, if you try to search to quickly it freezes mid way and just sits there.

6. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson

On a positive note, I like how speed warnings are now tied to truck speed limits

7. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    so the speed shown on the gps is your actual speed instead of what the speedometer shows?

8. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    What the latest map version? I have 3140607. I had trouble with the update process so I restored a backup now I wonder if I have the latest.

9. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    truck stop not in the system:

Gateway Travel Plaza, Palestine, TX

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    http://gpssystems.net/accurate-gpsbased-speedometer/

Many GPS devices display your current speed, based on a simple calculation of how much distance you are covering in a given time period. However, drivers are often confused with these readings since it generally varies significantly from the vehicle’s speedometer.

So which speedometer is more accurate? Which one should be used to determine if you are driving within the posted speed limits? How does it relate to using speeding alerts in your telematics program?

Speeding is widely regarded as a significant contributor to fatal road accidents, and fleet owners find GPS-based speed calculations very useful in maintaining fleet safety. It’s important then that these speed calculations can be trusted to avoid drivers being falsely accused of speeding, as well as providing a reliable guide to determining a legally-safe driving speed.

How does a GPS device calculate speed?
    Using GPS, a device is able to calculate a lot of information about a moving object. Using even basic time and location data, a GPS unit can quickly calculate the relative speed of the object, based on how much distance it covered in a given time.

GPS devices are positional speedometers, based on how far the device has moved since the last measurement. The algorithm also uses the doppler shift in the pseudo range signals from the satellites. It should also be noted that the speed reading is normalized, and is not an instant speed.

Speeds are updated at short intervals to maintain accuracy at all times. It uses frequent calculations to determine the vehicle’s speed. For example, using a standard movement per time calculation, if you have covered 80 feet in one second, the GPS device works out and converts that to MPH, which in this case is 55MPH.

Why does GPS speed differ from the vehicle’s own speedometer?
    GPS speed calculations are more accurate than a vehicle’s speedometer since it is not affected by the same inaccuracies, including the vehicle’s wheel size or drive ratios. It is dependent however on GPS satellite signal quality but with the use of moving average calculations any errors are minimal.

Vehicle speedometers also require calibration to maintain perfect accuracy as general wear and tear, changing wheel sizes, and the manufacturers own ‘erring on the side of caution’ and setting the speedometer to read higher than the actual speed, all contribute to inaccuracies.

Generally most manufacturers claim a 0.1MPH tolerance with speed readings, however will go as far to say a 0.5MPH inaccuracy is possible, to make allowances for any satellite signal variations beyond their control.

Which speedometer should a driver use?
    It really comes down to personal preference since both gauges are reliable for determining a safe, legal traveling speed. In most cases the vehicle’s speedometer will show a higher speed due to the aforementioned inaccuracies but this at least ensures the driver stays lower than the posted speed limit.

And while logged GPS data has been used to overturn speeding tickets, the cautious driver, who is keen to avoid infringements, fines, trouble from their employer or the possibility of an accident, will tend to err on the side of driving slower rather than pushing it too close to the limit.

Thanks,
    Mark

LGarrison Thanks this.
  11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What kind/model of SD Card are you using?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.