Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Ya sorry fingers going too fast lol. Navi maps is 3 gigs and the other folders make up the rest of storage, not sure how much room the actual maps take up but in any event there is only 178 megs left on the unit's internal memory so updates can't be all that large.
    I have a complete navi map folder sitting on my pc that I needed to repair my unit a while back, I believe its only maps but it's only 300 megs.
    Sorry for the confusion.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BKayrac

BKayrac Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Well, map updates generally don't increase too much year after year, few hundred megs.....From what mark said, it looks like they take up most of that 178, and if we want the new junction view, we need an SD card. But in reality you'll need one for any subsequent updates if you do the map update probably, will probably be running pretty low after it.
    '
    I'm somewhat sad I won't be able to update it before i head out tomorrow though :( Sucks maps are released for us(720 owners), but it's either bugged, or batched. If it's batched I am pretty bummed out :( Batch always seems to goto the people that have no idea or want or care about the update first lol

4. wulfman75

wulfman75 Road Train Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    my 510 also says already have latest maps and yes for LTM.

number is 510-096716

5. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I'm trying to follow along but can't find a post where it says what model these recent update posts are for. Can someone please fill me in. I have the 720 and attempted an update couple hours ago and all I got was a small 6 meg (usual) update. I have LTM. Another thing I have noticed lately when I got the small updates in the past it made me connect to a power source to apply them. The last few updates just transferred the file and that was it. Am I to presume they were transferred and installed in the same connection?

6. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    It should tell you on the dock if there is an update available. As far as I know the update is for the 10 and 20 series units. I have never had an update auto install always had to clic the install button.

skulldrinker Thanks this.
  7. free2frog

free2frog Medium Load Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mark, I'm a little confused I Have the 720 with LTM when I start it up it says the maps are over a year old, I hook to the dock every weekend to send all the tell rand Items I came across for the previous week and download any updates that are available, I have read in the fourms that there was an upate to remove the year old map warning but I still get that warning, also on the New map update is that now available for the 720 or is that the one available in January

8. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Did you read about the driver in Milwaukee that drove into a park bicycle path. I wonder if he blamed it on his GPS.

9. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Yes..i saw the news report with the video and he did blame his gps...this was actually what i was referring to.

Truth is if he was using a gps it was probably google maps which is not truck specific. I see truckers using it all the time because its free as well as car units.

10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I connected my 720 but no map updates were available...

Pm to mark with info...however the message informing me that my maps are out of date when i start my unit up has now returned.

11. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    When a GPS doesn't include 4 lane roads that have been constructed for at least 2 years. The GPS wants to route me around this highway and add 50, 60 or a 100 miles to my trip. Not a good product. I have no issues with the hardware. I bought my 720 for the bigger screen. I like that part of this unit.
    When the maps are unreliable it also causes me to second guess rest of the information this unit is suppose to have.
    No doubt Mark does a lot of customer service through this forum. I do appreciate his effort. It won't change my view of the maps software RM provides. This was the first GPS I bought and I will never buy another one on any brand. I always call shippers and receivers for best route to loading/unloading. The comfort of seeing what is ahead for the road structure is helpful just not necessary.
    I'll go buy a new map. :biggrin_25525:

double yellow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.