Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So long as the USB charger does not have pins 2,3, or 4, and 2 amps then it should work.

Thanks,
    mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Sorry was absent a little longer than I expected last week. I had a total roof replacement except for trusses done on my house.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. kwswan

kwswan Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2009
    mcminnville,tn.
    I wanted to know if the USB cable that came with the tnd for hooking up to the computer would work. I should have been a bit more specific.

5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Only if the USB charger does not have pins 2, 3, or 4. It should only have pins 1 and 5 which are the outside pins.

Thanks,
    Mark

kwswan Thanks this.
  6. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo

I have the RM 510tnd. I can send the serial number if needed. I would just like to update it. I suspect the USB port has gone bad as it will only charge the unit, jot sync it.. I've tried powered USB hubs, resetting the device, different USB cables and different pcs.. All to no avail.
    I will even send it off and have it repaired but I sent RM support a email about the problems and asking for out of warranty repair work.. But I just keep getting back blank emails. No attachments or anything.
    Any help would be much appreciated as I would really like to use my unit and not have to buy a new one.

7. BKayrac

BKayrac Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    While I know you said you don't want to buy a new one, the cost to repair it will probably outweigh the cost of buying a new one.

The TND730(newest one), is actually on sale right now at amazon.com for 299.99, thats a pretty #### low price. the TND720(old version), is also 299, and the TND530(smaller screen, new version) is also 299.99

So basically you grab the newest, for the same price as the inferior models.

8. skulldrinker

skulldrinker Light Load Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I have the 520 and when i connect for updates it downloads them and then I click ok to transfer them. Then that's all that happens. I then hook up to power like it use to say for updates to install but now nothing happens. When I hook up to power the unit just boots up like normal. How do I know if I'm getting all the construction updates and whatever else I think the POI also. Are they getting installed? How would I verify?

9. BKayrac

BKayrac Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2014
    Reconnect it to the computer after you have already updated it and let the unit boot once, then simply shut it down and reconnect, it should say no updates are available

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    The update is done while you are connected to the computer (Dock). Once it boots up after you update go to Preferences/General/Contact & About - click on the bottom right "OS Version". It should show a construction update file date.

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Have you called? Their is also a "chat" available during business hours. I am sure if they are still repairing the 510/710 or not. Call and ask.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.