Support Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products. (part two)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voyager XII Rider

Voyager XII Rider Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2015
    OK, thanks for the info. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how the TND works.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Navi folder contains the operating software along with a user folder for addresses and trip history, NaviVoices is just that, voices, RM contains your POI information along with construction and another user folder for things like mileage, fuel, avoid segments, etc, and NaviMaps contains some POI information, but mostly the DCA (database coverage areas) files.

Since the NaviMaps have grown beyond the internal limits of memory they were pushed to the external Micro SD slot. This slot is addressed so in the code it looks for a certain file so it knows what NaviMaps is primary to use.

Thanks,
    Mark

Voyager XII Rider Thanks this.
  4. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    Ok, but it is still useless to the majority of people buying the unit. You can't tell what the icons are on the fly. It might have seemed like a good idea but if you polled those same people about it they will tell you this tabs sucks. I'm just suggesting an on off feature for those who never use it. And the option to make the box above it bigger if the tab is gone.

double yellow Thanks this.
  5. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I like it......

some people actually complain about paying taxes after winning the lottery....you cant please everyone..

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    It is not a useless tab. If you notice at truck stops they sell a "The Next Exit" book. It is based upon that. These allow you to do trip planning. Granted you cannot get an Semi in at most places, but it does provide you the ability to find places to eat, hotels, etc. Bob Tailing is used quite often to go to local areas for eating or shopping. As I mentioned just because it does not meet your needs does not mean it is a useless tab to others. The TND/RV are modeled and tabs added for the majority of the users. To custom add a setting for each and every thing on the TND or any GPS device would mean you would spend hours trying to set up your settings for your personal preference. Most users never change the default settings.

The TND is not bought or used only by those whose have 18 wheels below them.

As with anything on the TND if you don't need it, don't use it.

Thanks,
    Mark

tow614 Thanks this.
  7. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT

I understand what you are saying, but trip planning is not done going down the road. I agree it can be useful when parked. The tab IS useless going down the road for most people.

8. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    i strongly disagree....there are plenty of times i look for places to stop at while driving with no problems...you may not find it useful but obviously many do or it would not be there....

here is a thought...turn your gps off while driving and that way it wont be a distraction for you...

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    So the TND or any GPS should be designed that all extra info just disappear when you start to move and suddenly appear when you stop?

Did you think that some drivers have a Co-Driver or spouse that may have the TND on their side?

It is not going away. It is your personal preference to use it or not, parked or not.

Thanks,
    Mark

10. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    No, actually we already know your programmers aren't talented enough to program 53' trailers over the George Washington bridge. I'm saying the programming to create the option to turn this on or off like a widget is beyond their ability. Also useless is the wifi weather. Would love to remove that icon, as is the poorly designed HOS deal that we had to go through hoops to shut down. Not to mention the fact that you still can't see the whole route on multi point routes on the 520. Other than that I love this GPS. I may have to start looking at the Garmin though. I came to Rand McNally because I trust the map, not because the programming is superior. At least your product is better than what Cobra is trying to put out and you sort of listen to feed back. Not sure if you guys are actually doing anything with it though.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  11. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    You could add that as a safety feature. Less distractive driving. My cars GPS is locked when driving.

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.