Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragtopjr

ragtopjr Light Load Member

May 14, 2008
    Saskatoon,Sk,Can
    Mark

I recently tried routing myself from Sault St Marie, On to south of Moab Utah, the load is a Haz Mat Load.

The first problem I encountered was going across to Michigan, It wanted to Route me across to Thunder Bay to cross into the USA there instead of right there into Sault St Marie, Mi...

The next problem I encountered was once I hit the I 70 (Near Rifle) in Colorado it wanted me to take the next exit and head either north to some of the back roads for the first bit it wanted to send me north, but then decided it wanted me heading south.

Keep in mind this is a routed load which we are not allowed to deviate from.

It continued doing this until I hit the Utah State Line.

I later on started getting error messages killing the GPS, application data navi.exe errors. I think this was the failure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Serial number off the back and also the version

main screen/preferences/device/about - upper right.

Also, if you connect your TND to the computer, close the dock, then go to the start up menu on the computer then computer, look for an external drive with the folder Navi. In the Navi folder is a logs folder. Send me those files please.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. ADRENALINEJUNKIE

ADRENALINEJUNKIE Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2011
    I had to send it my 700 for the same power issue. The actual plug/port for the power cable came loose/disconnected. Since I got back the 700 it has been having nothing but issues. At this point unhappy with the GPS considering the investment and all of this unwanted stress. Rand needs to do something about quality and reliability. I may have to switch to a different brand.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  5. CoronaDon

CoronaDon Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Fontana, CA
    Just tonight I had power cord issues for the first time. The screen flickers as well as the charging light. It appears to be internal, since the power cord appears to fit snugly. I purchased mine in Sep. 2010 at Pilot in Oregon. I too use it on a daily basis and would rather not go buy a backup unit.

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    If you plug the TND into an AC source are you getting the same results.

If you are and the DC does not seem to keep the unit fully charged, look at the other end of the DC cord. Is the plug fully inserted into the Cig lighter Jack? Has is slipped out a little?

I used to have to take a plastic tong off a fork and wedge between the connector and the jack of the Cig lighter to keep it from slipping out. Note the Cig lighter Jack is not as deep as the DC cord connector.

Thanks,
    Mark

7. CoronaDon

CoronaDon Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Fontana, CA
    Either method of charging has the same results. charger is plugged in snugly to the cig lighter jack. If I wiggle the plug at the unit it starts charging again.

8. MustangMark83

MustangMark83 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    Theres a restriction somewhere that needs to be removed. I had routed myself from dallas, tx to Tones Bayou Rd in shreveport, la. The gps told me to take i-20 all the way to la-3132 and then get on i-49 and go south for like 20 miles and take an exit to us-1 and come back up north to tones bayou rd.

Thats about 30 miles out of route of where it should be, which would indicate theres either a low clearence or weight restriction or no trucks sign. I went i-20 to la-3132 until it ended into the 523 to us-1 , turned right on us-1 and then left on tones bayou road. Much shorter, and it was perfectly legal. Is there anyway you can find whatever restriction is causing that and remove it? It may have been a restriction for 523 possibly, but another part of the road which didn't exist during my route, the gps could have thought the whole road was off limits.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  9. MustangMark83

MustangMark83 Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Winter Haven, FL
    a side note, the whole area around tones bayou needs to be updated if you compare it to google maps. theres a lot of roads that are missing. ron bean, john w holt. etc

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Did you call Customer support and request another DC cord?

Thanks,
    mark

11. ecbaatz

ecbaatz Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Edwardsburg, MI

I have the same problem with two units. Thought maybe it was just the first one but the second (a gift) does the same thing. Either the mini usb connection on the cord (ac or dc) is incorrect or the connection on the unit. I suspect the unit as both cords do the same thing.

it could be a bad batch
    710-003418-EL-10W53 V.0.0
    710-001147-EL-10W53 V.0.0

I notified Rand and responded back with my proof of purchase but that is as far as it has gone. No further response from Rand has been received.

Eric

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.