Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtyDirt

DirtyDirt Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2011
    CA
    Mark consider what an in accurate, poor quality constructed unit.my.710 in.my.opinion has been. I wouldn't give 100 bucks for the new. Version 760 model. These people make maps for a living shhesh. You would think they could route a guy correctly for christ sake. Bell east on I 10. Before san anyone they wanted to take me oof highway threw a town. Headed. Back west on ten out of houston to san jose ca area the unit wanted to route me up some bs roads to dallas and across 40. Wtf. Slower speed and why different route. Over and back. This unit has disappointed me big time. I would RECOMMEND NOT TO BUY RAND GPS SYSTEMS if anybody were to ask me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You can scan your receipt, but for warrenty work the receipt is needed. I had a laptop cooler quit working, I had to pay for shipping to them and they pay for the return leg. Most business operate this way no matter what the cost of your product.

From what you mention they cannot do the repairs. The 5" I can do repairs on certain models, but the 7" is strictly a replacement.

As stated before, the truck speeds are build into NavTeq main core database. Rand is trying to correct this, but the end result is that NavTeq has to physically correct their database.

A lot of how you are routed depends on if you have detours in place - permanent types, how your route settings are set for. If you can provide me with start/stop and how you have your truck set for, IE - truck tools/truck info and main screen/preferences/route.

Please provide your serial number off the back (bottom right also), With this I can narrow down what maps you are using.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    A lot of how you are routed depends on if you have detours in place - permanent types, how your route settings are set for. If you can provide me with start/stop and how you have your truck set for, IE - truck tools/truck info and main screen/preferences/route.

Please provide your serial number off the back (bottom right also), With this I can narrow down what maps you are using.

If this is a 710 you are posting about in your first post, you do not need to provide a receipt. The 710 has not been that long on the Market and is not over a year old. They should have provided you an RMA without question.

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    When you press down on the TND power button, press with enough pressure to push it down, wait about 3 seconds and the TND should start to power up. Do not press down harder if it does not respond as soon you press the power button.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40

I don't understand your post. Could you please clarify.

7. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama

Didn.t have freeway preferred routes option at that time but I do now. It is such an awsome improvement that when I had it turned on yesterday going from Mobile Alabama to Marmaduke Arkansas that it wanted to take me on a route that was 200 miles longer. WTF

Maybe you all should try to work somthing out with pro miles to get TRUCK PRACTICAL routes. not just truck legal......
    Put in 5480 Windfern Rd Houston Texas From Baytown Texas. It wants you to take a rd in named puerto rico rd, a very narrow rd through a residential neighborhood. It is hard to make the turn onto windfern from puerito rico.(Steep ditches) both rds very narrow and residential traffic. Wind fern is very narrow at this point and so is puerito rico rd. instead of having you turn onto windfern at the light from clay. Both 4 lane rds on that end. This happens so often that it's not even funny. Luckely we run to the same places often enough that I just ignore the thing. It's best use is for the ETA and to see when sunrise and sunset times are for wide loads.

I wish someone would make one and concentrate more on the navigation and less on the logs

I wish now I had't orderd the new map and just used that money towards another unit. A new map isn't going to fix fugged up routing.

Maybe RM should make the maps and let another company work the routing.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  8. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Maybe if you guys would use it as a navigation aid, not a replacement for your brain, things might go a little better.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  9. wiseguy3501

wiseguy3501 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeville, MN
    I'll agree with you on that point, however, that doesn't excuse the things being complete crap. You wouldn't be happy with a TV or a computer if it didn't work properly would you? Looking at close to the same cost with either of those items.

10. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    true it is an AID but it should be able to route a trip from a to b and back to a and use the same roads to go both ways when the setting are the same.

my $40 gps porgram on my laptop can do that

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Rand has a complete GIS department dedicated to making sure the maps are correct. The USA and Canada have millions upon millions of miles of roads to include primary and secondary roads. If the Map database has any of these roads tagged to allow trucks then the TND will take that route as it is simply a computer following code directions.

As we find these roads, Rand does check each and everyone out. They verify if the truck restrictions or lack of restrictions are valid with local/state agencies.

The wheel was broke, but Rand is working hard to fix the wheel. If you find a route or road not correct, then post it here with the start/stop locations along with details such as intersections, mm, or other items to help Rand locate the area in question.

If you are on other maps than what is most current you may see issues, but then again the issues may have been fixed in the most current maps.

I have seen TND's while I have been at Tier 3 events with map data from 2009 when 2010 map data was available. One driver's unit was taking him one route on a restricted road and when he checked the newest map data it showed correct routing for a haz-mat load.

Instead of tossing blame out for bad routing, let's find the root cause of the bad routing so that it can be fixed in the map database for 2012. This will only give you more viable routing that is truck correct. I have the next version of maps in testing. I will be glad to test routing to see if the in-correct routing has been fixed. I just need info.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.