Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    most of the time MOST of the time it's good for getting you in to and out of a shipper but going from one town to the next stop i have to change setting all the time to get it to use the route i want to go. today i went fron chicago hights, il to claycomo, mo. i that it set for allow freeways/fastest and it was like 570 miles then i changed it to preferred freeway/fastest and it was like 510 miles now what part of FASTEST didn't it see the first time... and yes the 510 mile way was the fastest by almost 2 hr's

like i said MOST of the time it is good at getting you in to or out of someplace but when i go home it tells me to make 3 turns in my home town that CAN NOT be made if i have a trailer, in a daycab with a pup yes but can't be dome with a sleeper truck and a 53" trailer... it would be like being in NYC on a two lane street with cars parked on both sides and trying to turn right on to a two lane street with cars parked on both sides

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    I have another brand & it will occasionally do the same thing. All it takes is one glitch (possibly someone reporting for the county) that a bridge is too light, overhead too low or other weight limit on the road it will route around it, even though it is obviously a truck route.

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Agreed. These things are only as good as the database programming that goes into them. Software geeks... especially keypunch types are notoriously bad at entering this kind of stuff. Managment has a vested interest at turning out database products at the lowest possible cost - that's how they get their bonuses - and will scrimp in the data evaluation and product test stage every time to the detriment of the product.

That's how we got a commerical Titan booster project at Lockheed-Martin that wouldn't separate a satellite from a lower stage booster section, and a nearsighted Hubble telescope mirror. Too cheap to do the job properly. That being said, it appears that Rand is purchasing a database product from a third-party who warrents the product to be error-free. Obviously, it isn't.

That's why there are maps - both software products and products like the RMCA, and a driver who should be smart enough to have done his homework in the first place - and not blindly following this box into a bad situation. It is a navigational aid - not a reason to do improper trip planning, and having one is not a reason to delegate your responsibility for safely operating a commercial vehicle to a pile of electronics. You're not just along for the ride.

CallMeArty Thanks this.
  5. RCH_Trucking

RCH_Trucking Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Why can't we do a search via business name? Sprint Navigation on my cell phone has that option and it makes life SO much easier.

6. Raamman

Raamman Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Airbase Two
    to be honest I would be very worried if I had to rely on such a feature; what if the info refers to a mailing/ or storefront address and you are to go to a warehouse or new location ? with such a large database there would be plenty of instances of the data being out of date. I've been sent to streets with operating businesses that aren t even in the gps database- obviously buildings dont crop up overnight so there really is nothing new about those streets but the age of the database has aleady revealed itself in significant measure.

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    you can to a point-- choose a destination, points of interst, city, type in the name of the town, more, all, type in the name of the business

doesn't work for all towns..

8. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Would need a POI database what 10, 50, or 100 times bigger then the one that is in there now for EVERY business. Addresses are much easier to deal with from a programming point of view. If Sprint is like Verizon, a lot of your navigational data is comming from the web, not a database on your phone.

Mark-k7tkr

9. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    There are over 12 million businesses/POI's that are searchable by name on them now.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Send me an E-Mail with your name, phone, mailing address (no po boxes) and serial number off the back of the TND.

I will send you a 1.1 USB hub.

Thanks,
    Mark

11. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Only on DC or AC also?

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.