Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Try this.. Disconnect the power from the 720 then disconnect the power from the traffic receiver. Then reconnect the power to the traffic receiver and then the power to the 720. You will have to tap on the 720 screen to keep it awake once you disconnect the power.

Go to Preferences/general/traffic receiver status. Give it about 10 minutes and see if it shows searching or connected.

Make sure you have the antenna either going up the side or the middle of the windshield and then across the top. I have noticed that even on my desk if the traffic receiver antenna is not placed in a certain way it will not pick up a signal. I usually have to have it running accross the top of the monitor.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    If it is a newer laptop, make sure you have under the power settings - set to full. Most newer computers run the power at a lower setting to conserve power.

If the 720 shows connected on the 720 screen, go to the computer and click on your start button. Look under computer and see if you see the 720 showing up as an external drive. If it does, make sure you booted the 720 to the at least the accept screen as a file has to be automatically build during the boot process. If you take it out of the box and turn it on and in the boot process connect to the computer the file will not build. This file contains the device ID which the Dock is looking for.

Thanks,
    Mark

4. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Mark

A software update suggestion. As more and more truckers who travel across the borders will be looking at getting the new tnd 720 it would be very usefull if there was a list of border crossings that had the option of use or don't use as some of them aren't open 24\7 and some don't allow loaded trucks to go into the US as they don't have x-ray machines but will allow empty trucks. This will stop the gps from routing you through those ports even though they are the most direct route. This will save the user from having to go into the unit and put an avoid at all the places he can't cross loaded and having to remove the avoid if he comes back empty and can use that port. If you use the detour function for this sometimes you need to detour multiple times before the unit will show the correct route that you need to take,this would just make the unit more user friendly.
    Also was wondering about the posted speed limit function if you touch the icon at a spot where it shows the wrong setting,does it store the location and when you send the logs to Rand it will make them aware that there is a problem there or do you need to send a full explanation of the problem along with it.

Thanks
    John

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  5. jmroadhog

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Has anyone done any tests on actual data usage using the weather function. Just wondering if I need to upgrade my roaming data plan. I'm off to LA today and will give my new unit a good workout.

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    John, Rand is aware of the border crossings and is working on a way to allow the driver to not be routed to those they cannot go through..

Posted speed limit. Once you click on the speed limit icon, enter the correct speed indication if for a car/truck or truck and the next time you connect to the Dock and update; your Tell Rands along with the speed corrections will be send up to Rand.

Thanks,
    Mark

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Yes... DieselBoss should be posting soon his results. Remember these are from his phone and are just his results.

Thanks,
    mark

8. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    That is an excellent description of the process. I am not that computer savvy, but noticed that the dock opens a little different than a regular program and always wondered if I set it up wrong. It has functioned perfectly, but I was curious about that aspect and your explanation was great, thanks.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  9. jmroadhog

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Mark

Thanks for the quick reply to both posts,prob should have put it all in one post but the amount of rain we are getting here is making my brain mushy lol.

John

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  10. DonaldHM

DonaldHM Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Winnipeg Manitoba
    Exchanged 720 for a third unit and this time all software installed correctly and unit is running fine. Had spoken with RM tech support and they figured for some reason some files were missing. Just hope all stays working the way it should. Thanks to anybody who was trying to figure what was wrong and for the posting offering a sugestion.

11. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    What are the FM stations that carry RDS and which one has the most direct path to you from the transmitting tower site? Very important.

Mark

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.