Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    That would be true if it shows searching, but if it shows not connected then I suggest you plug the traffic receiver into the 720 first and then plug the power into the traffice receiver.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    WEATHER DATA TEST RESULTS:

Test hardware was using a Droid X (Android) using Verizon 3G hotspot capability. NOTE that there are multiple weather "overlays" that you can choose and I found that each uses different amounts of data depending on what needs to be "drawn" over the map and what your ZOOM levels are. So I ran some tests using worst case scenario ("Feels Like" temperature which combines temperature and humidity and another one "Wind Speed.") Other tests were run using the less data-intense overlays (like "Traffic Impact due to weather.)

AND the survey says: it uses from .5 to 1 MB of data per hour depending on which overlay you chose and how much zooming in and out you do. So, for instance, if you drove 11 hours per day with weather on the entire time on the most intense overlays and you drove that way for 30 days straight and never lost your 3G or 4G connection areas (ya right) then you would use 330 megs in a month. I suppose that it is mathematically possible to do that, but so is winning powerball mathematically possible. In reality I think that users would turn on the weather overlay when they are planning a trip or when they are approaching a region where bad weather is likely and then either turn it off or lose 3g/4g signal from their provider before ever approaching even 100 mb in a month.

4. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Thanks for that Don. Was keeping an eye it myself but I have other things making demands on my data plan to get anything close to an accurate read so really appricate it.

Mark

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Thank you for taking the time to run the tests,the information is very usefull for those,like myself who would need to connect using roaming data.

Thanks
    John

6. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Sorry- should have clarified. It was in regard to your reception when you moved the antenna around in your- office? Den? I'm to cut a J-pole and hang it outside the cab somewhere and see what that does for my reception.

Mark

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I have it running up the middle of my windshield and across the top in my car. In my office I have it running up the side and across the top of my monitor (32"). In my car I get a good connection and have made travels to KY from NC and saw no issue. In my office if the part going across the monitor falls down I lose the connection. Once I replace it, it picks up connection and traffic again.

Thanks,
    Mark

8. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Weather on the 720 - Just a reminder for those crossing the USA into Canada or Canada into the USA the plan you are on may place you in a roaming plan. At a higher cost per minute.

Thanks,
    Mark

9. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Telus data roaming in the US is $5.00 Mb or for an add on for $10.00 Mo. reduces it to $1.00 Mb. break even point is 2.5 Mb. From the test run by Don it appears that very little data would be used if used sparingly.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  10. Hammer71

Hammer71 Light Load Member

May 21, 2012
    Montgomery NY
    Mark how do we go about returning this thing for repair?
    After charging , powered on and reset all seemed ok. Fully charged over weekend unplugged and put in jump bag for the AM trip.
    Plugged in truck, red charging light on powered up input destination and away I go. An hour later screen flickers and shuts off. Red charge light still on. I'm stumped and a bit pissed that I have a $300 paperweight here. If it wasn't for the support we get for these things I would have thrown it out on I81 by now.

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I would suspect from what you have mentioned that this might be the DC cord. If the light went green with the AC cord and you plugged the DC cord in, the light will go red for a little while and should go green. If the screen flickered and went off this sounds like it was on battery and not DC power.

If the USB end of the DC cord is a little loose, slightly squeeze it to provide a more snug fit. There is also a fuse in the DC plug end. You might want to check to make sure it is okay.

Thanks,
    Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.