Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Connect it to the Dock and under Tools/ run the Diagnostic and repair on it.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DonaldHM

DonaldHM Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Winnipeg Manitoba
    I will give them a call when I get back from my next trip and let people know how they responded. Thanks

4. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Kind of lost on this one.

Thanks,
    Mark

5. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Very interesting as it's usually the small roads that are the problem areas with truck restrictions. I have found a few times when navigating through a city or town you turn onto a road only to find out that several blocks along it turns into a truck restricted route, and RAND doesn't know about it, so there you sit in the intersection recalculating, not the best scenario.
    Maybe there should be a national database of truck restricted roads with an icon showing on the map route so that you know its coming up.This would be similar to the red light camera database so shouldn't be too hard to do. This would be very helpful for someone entering an unknown area.
    I would be very interested to know if the "AVOID SMALL ROADS' setting matched the practical route setting that PC Miler uses.

Thanks for the informative post.

John

SavageSam Thanks this.
  6. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    What do you think RM is using in route calculations? They already have one heck of a database they use for restriction overlays, regardless of whatever the restriction is. The problem is that things change, especially truck routes and truck allowed roads. People in the field have to find, collate, and apply this data only problem is, by the time it's updated- it may no longer be valid. And that is true industry wide- everything is always behind. At least with RM, you as the user have the option of contributing to this process by using Tell Rand on the device.

As far as comparing practical routing with another device- this ain't the place for it. My comment on this was not a comparison of devices but of navigational calculations on the 720. My regard to practical routing is in the sense that the calculation seemed to be more balanced then the other two options I listed.

Mark W.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

7. jmroadhog

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC

I don't think you understood my question re: PC Miler. This is a very expensive software suite used for calculating practical mileage for driver payroll, it is prob used by the majority of trucking companies.So if the "AVOID SMALL ROADS" setting comes close to the mileage for a certain route then it would be advantageous to use that setting as that would be the mileage that you would be getting paid for. I did not ask you to compare it to another device. I thought you would have understood that being a seasoned trucker.
    I fully understand the problem of staying current but some of the road restrictions I have encountered have been there for a long time so they should have been known and I should not have been guided down that route.
    I don't know what RM is using for route calculations but obviously it needs to be more current and having map updates only once a year doesn't cut the mustard.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved my TND 700 and now my TND 720 but in certain areas they could be improved on and current accuracy is one of them.Any input we send in now through Tell Rand won't be updated for a year,do you think that's acceptable?

John

8. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Man, I'm sorry now that I used the word "practical". Nor am I going to post further on this except to say that I am in no position to advise one way or the other or that my post be construed to cover anything past a simple route option and my opinion of it verses the other options on the 720.

My thoughts on restricted routing and roads stand- take it or leave it. And as to my thoughts regarding the yearly update cycle, I bought and use the device so it must be acceptable and further, I do understand the reasoning why it is so.

Apologies to Mark- way off topic here. I won't go any further with this.

Mark W.

9. jmroadhog

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    So, why are you "sorry" as I thought you were doing a good thing by comparing different mileages to different settings on the unit so anyone using this new unit could decide what settings would work the best.I believe that staying out of city streets for as much as possible is beneficial for anyone dragging around 75 ft. of truck and trailer.
    As I get paid,by my company,on "practical"mileage that the PC Miler program generates, I was very interested in your comparisons but somehow you took it to mean something other than that.
    If you do a comparison of different settings and show the results for everyone to see then all will benefit from them as they now become fact based and not opinions.

John

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Interesting... I do not know if it compares to other software suites since each company that may own/lease that software suite may/may not be current in their maps.

I do know the truck restriction DB we use, Rand does not sell or lease it to anyone.

A lot of restrictions that are out there may have gotten overlooked for one reason or another. One of the biggest ones is somehow it never got reported back correctly to the states.

Each restriction that you turn in Rand does verify with that state as to if it is a legal restriction or not. Many local governments may put up restricted signs and it may not have been reported.

Thanks,
    Mark

Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  11. k7tkr

k7tkr Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    My fault Mark. Another provider has "practical" as one of their choices. I should've maybe described the [AVOID SMALL ROADS] calculated route differently. It just seemed practical to describe it as more or less practical at the time.

Mark W.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.