Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I have to admit the 720 does do some really strange routing in seemingly obvious situations across longer conveyances. I can NEVER get it to route the way the company "suggested route" is (along with those preferred fuel stops). And "multiple route options" are mostly quite goofy as well (the difference between route 1 and route 2 often makes no sense it's logic needs to be re-worked)

You run a route one time, and it does one thing, cancel, and from the same location, and it does something completely different. Say from Baltimore, MD to Terrell, TX. And if you input a waypoint or via location, then it wants to route you to the waypoint keeping you in the dark and clueless about how long/far it is to the destination. Some parts of the 720 are user intuitive and make sense, and other parts don't/aren't.

I also don't like the way the unit will not provide a route map overview immediately upon completing a new route (or easily from any point while on a route) so the driver can easily see what the route is further down the road to the completion and decide if he wants to accept or reject the route and try again something else that might also makes sense.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    First off let me say this is a support thread, not a review thread. That being said since this is a long post it will take me some time to look at each of your routes and see what I see.

Offhand, I would think you have some settings that are forcing you to routes that you don't wish to be on.

Main Screen/Preferences/route/freeway -

Prefer will mainly keep you on Freeways, even though a US route is closer and shorter/faster.
    Allow will mainly keep you on US routes, even though a Freeway is closer and shorter/faster.

Under Preferences/Route, let me know what your settings are.

PM me your name and the serial number off the back please.

Thanks,
    Mark

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Once you have a route put in, go to map screen. on the right about middle you will see three arrows with three lines. Tap on that. Click on Route Display Options at the bottom to see what you mentioned.

Thanks,
    Mark

5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Good tip for now, thanks. I too would like it to at least search 8 hours in advance. If calculation time is an issue, perhaps add a "more" button at the bottom of the initial search results to extend the search?

More GIS: I95 nb in SC mm 176 & 193 -- no reason for lane assist ( who cares if the median spacing goes from 400yards to 100yards?). VA I95 nb from I295 to the 49 -- speed limit is 65 not 55. And another unnecessary lane assist at i95 nb VA 155

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Thanks, I will bring it to RM's attention.

I will submit the other issues to the GIS dept.

Thanks,
    Mark

7. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    "My current load is from Mountville, PA to Loveland, CO. I used the compare route function when I plugged the trip in. It showed only 3 miles difference but 1.5 hours difference in time between running I70 and I80.....I 70 being the faster route (and the one effectively without tolls). Today as I approached Indianapolis, it wanted me to head north towards I80. I went straight thru town, and it kept insisting, now routing me on minor roads to I80, across IA, then onto minor roads in NE, KS and CO. I decided enough was enough, this unit could not be trusted any more."

Using your settings. I went from city center to city center since I don't know the exact address's. Tollways allow and Freeways allow.

Route 1
    View attachment 57823 View attachment 57824 View attachment 57825

Route 2 (last pic unable to upload due to 10 pic limit on upload)
    View attachment 57826 View attachment 57827 View attachment 57828 View attachment 57829 View attachment 57830 View attachment 57831

8. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    "My current load is from Mountville, PA to Loveland, CO. I used the compare route function when I plugged the trip in. It showed only 3 miles difference but 1.5 hours difference in time between running I70 and I80.....I 70 being the faster route (and the one effectively without tolls). Today as I approached Indianapolis, it wanted me to head north towards I80. I went straight thru town, and it kept insisting, now routing me on minor roads to I80, across IA, then onto minor roads in NE, KS and CO. I decided enough was enough, this unit could not be trusted any more."

Using your settings. I went from city center to city center since I don't know the exact address's.

View attachment 57832 View attachment 57833 View attachment 57834

9. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Using your settings. I went from city center to city center since I don't know the exact address's.

Prefer Freeways and Shortest Route, avoid Tollways.

View attachment 57835 View attachment 57836 View attachment 57837 View attachment 57838 View attachment 57839 View attachment 57840
    View attachment 57841 View attachment 57842

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Prefer Freeways and Fastest Route, avoid Tollways.

View attachment 57843 View attachment 57844 View attachment 57845 View attachment 57846 View attachment 57847 View attachment 57848

11. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC

Prefer Freeways and Shortest Route, allow Tollways, allow Tunnels. (note you have Tunnels set to Avoid)

View attachment 57850 View attachment 57851 View attachment 57852 View attachment 57853 View attachment 57854

So in effect the 720 was routing you according to the settings you have in place.

If you change Tunnels to allow, you might find your routing a bit different and more in line with your choices.

You have Tollways set to Allow, but you made the statement - I 70 being the faster route (and the one effectively without tolls). If you wish to avoid Tolls, why not set to Avoid Tollways?

Thanks,
    Mark

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.