Suppport Thread for the TND 500, TND 700 or future Rand McNally products.

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Mark Kling, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    On the USB connector of the 510 look at the connector. You should see 5 gold pins looking at you. Pins 1 and 5 are the power pins, pins 2, 3, and 4 are the USB handshaking pins.

You can also check when the 510 is connected to the computer. The screen (510) should say connected and if you look on the Computer at external drives you should see the TND as an external drive.

You did not mention if you used other USB cables to try connecting. Have you tried this?

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. northbamatrucker

northbamatrucker Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Yes I have tried two cables with several different USB ports.

4. northbamatrucker

northbamatrucker Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2009
    After looking at the unit it looks like all the pins are towards the top except for the third pin and its towards the middle.

5. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    I will submit the lane assist ones. The Low ground clearance are taken from the POI Factory and RM does not have control over those. You would have to contact the POI Factory for those.

I think what they did was take the Lat/Long of the main road versus the actual.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    1. Does the TND show connected on the face of the TND?
    2. Can you see the TND as an external drive on the computer?

Thanks,
    Mark

7. teqntexas

teqntexas Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Ft. Worth Tx.
    thanks for the screen shot info Mark. if Rand ever decides you don't deserve a raise, let me know i'll sick my chihuahuas on them for ya. this forum is why i decided to ditch my cobra and go back with a 720. your help is always appreciated.

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  8. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Funny, I was getting ready to post something in regards to this.

In the past some of you have posted comments in regards to my being available on TTR for help. I am looking for them. If you wish, post any comments again in regards to how my presence has helped you in regards to being on TTR.

Thanks,
    Mark

9. sniper100

sniper100 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    owingsville, kentucky
    I bough the 520 from a truck stop. It worked fine for a few weeks, then it started connecting to a computer, when it was in use and pluged into the truck charger outlet. This only happen a few times at first. It would show a screen "connecting" then lock on a screen that said "connected". I tried to repair it by using the docking but the next week it got so bad it became useless. I did discover I could pull the power socket out and run on battery which caused the unit to operate correctly untill the battery ran out, when it was plugged back in it went back to the connected screen. I tried moving the GPS so it was not close to other devices and the same thing happen. This all happened just around the 30 day mark. Calls to Rand McNalley support was usless. They only knew what their computer promped them to do and couldnot resolve the issue. They did offer to have me send the unit in for repairs however, I have a job to do and I do not have time to mess around with repairs delays. I bought the unit because it was suppose to be reliable, turns out it is far from that. Lucky for me the truck stop where I bought the GPS let me return it outside of the 30 day return policy. I purshased another brand this time based on the truck stop managers reccomendation of which units he has had returned the least. Good luck with your product however you will not be building it on my time.

10. Mark Kling

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    The issue sounds like either the DC cord or the USB connector on the 520 had some cross pins. Pins 2, 3, and 4 are the handshaking pins. Nothing they could have done on the phone would have fixed it. They did offer to repair it, but since it was "useless" in your case the "loss" of the 520 while in repair would have not left you without a working TND. They did what they could based upon the issue. It was a hardware issue and a repair/replacement was in line for them to offer.

Any device you buy that is outside the return policy and repairs have to be made you will have to turn the item in. Yes, you will be without it. But I don't know of many places that offer a "loaner" electronic device while yours is being repaired. If my laptop goes down, I have to be without it while being repaired. But, because my job requires me to have a means of communication I did have to buy a backup laptop. I am not suggesting you buy a backup GPS for times like these. But, RM did offer to have it repaired/replaced. So, why post a negitive post for them doing their jobs and offering a solution to a hardware issue?

If this started within the 30 day window why did you not return it for an exchange?

Thanks,
    Mark

mattbnr Thanks this.
  11. sniper100

sniper100 Bobtail Member

May 23, 2012
    owingsville, kentucky
    Thanks Mark, the 30 day window appeared somewhere in another state while I was attempting to get a load to a paycheck. Driving a truck is not like other jobs where you can get out of your seat and find another tool to do the job. Time = Money. That is why I spent money on what I thought would work the best. The negitive post was posted as fact and nothing else. I do have another means of communication and it is called the rear of a a flat bed where I will post, "This truck is NOT navigated by Rand McNalley" All I want a GPS to do is get me there, in the best way. It has to work just like a gun has to work, everytime.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.